• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Pentel Pencils

I have used and enjoyed Pentel pencils for years. So I wanted to make wooden pencils with the Pentel mechanism. Here's how I make them.

All of the parts of the Pentel pencil are used in the wooden pencil.

I use a 1/4" Irwin auger to drill the pencil blank. Bit is 7-1/2" long. Auger is 4-1/2".

Turn a round tenon on one end of the blank and mount the tenon in a chuck. Mount a key chuck in the tailstock for the bit. Drill as deep as possible with a 1/4" brad point bit to make a guide way for the auger. This will reduce "wandering" by the auger. You can use a drill press, but this is easier.

Finish drilling the 1/4" hole with the auger. Drill deeper than needed. Cut the drilled blank to final length.

Square up both ends of the blank. Mount the blank onto a pen mandrel. Use slim line bushings to hold it in place. No brass tubes. Turn and finish the blank. Turn a slight depression for the clip.

Mount the Pentel plastic barrel between centers with the points of the drive center and the live center in the ends of the barrel. Friction fit, but not enough pressure to split the plastic. Turn the tip-end to 1/4" diameter to fit inside the wooden barrel. I use a parting tool.

About 1-1/4" of the barrel can be turned. The walls become too thin to turn.

Glue the completed insert into the wooden pencil barrel with super glue. Leave about 1/32" protruding from the end. Do not glue the tip or the mechanism.

Slip the clip over the shaft of a drill bit that is the size of the wooden barrel to expand it. Slide the clip from the bit onto the wooden barrel. Insert the pencil mechanism and screw on the tip. You can replace the mechanism and tip in the completed pencil with a one for a different size lead.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Powercat80
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007
    • Austin, TX

Very nice!!

I too have used Pentel's for years and this is a wonderful/beautiful variation on a familiar product. I'm sure you could sell these in mass. Very nice work. Some day I would like to attempt this and have half the result. Thanks for sharing a great idea and wonderful workmanship.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Those quality Pentel pencils were my stock in trade for many years before CAD came along. You have put a very beautiful spin on an old friend. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

ohhh, that's great, I'd love to have a wooden pentel - use them all the time, carry a plastic one daily.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

Great idea and beautiful work. Thanks for the instructions.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• footprintsinconc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
            • BT3100

finally a turned pencil (by the way, very neat idea)! when are you going to make a crayola marker set?

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Put 'em on eBay. I can't live w/o my Pentel pencils. Apparently nobody else can, either, because people keep taking them.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

Great stuff and an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing the technique.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• boblon
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Florida, USA.

Man that is really cool. And I so thank you for posting such a nice tutorial on the process.

Ya really gotta love this place

BobL.
                  "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

That is a nice idea and they look neat.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

Working...