• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glencross
    Established Member
    • May 2005
    • canoe, british columbia, Canada.

"old" atlas lathe

I have just been given what is oviously an old lathe: it is an ATLAS 1050-1, this number is stamped on the inside of the lathe. Now I know little or nothing about lathes but would like to see if i can get this one going. It has a motor, a Cdn GE #160247. The pulleys cover is marked "SKP ball bearings pulleys". The headstock?? (the thingee on the left looking at the lathe) does not appear to have a chuck to hold anything, should it have? what would I put in there anyway???? It came with two boxes of chisels etc unopened and unused since the day they were bought, obviously many years ago as they are priced at $29.99 per box of 4 tools!I guess they are a little more expensive now!?what should be the first thing i do about this lathe? it is obviously in great need of tlc, so I shall repaint it and clean it up as best i can. Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Good place to start is Old WoodWorking Macines. http://www.owwm.com/
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

I know nothing about Atlas lathes but to answer your question about the head stock and a chuck, I don't think many ( if any ) lathes come with a chuck. What you should see is a spindle that's hollow on the inside and threads on the outside protruding from the headstock. The threads are for attaching chucks/etc to the lathe by screwing them on the threads, the hollow inside will fit a morse taper. Hopefully a #2 morsetaper as that is most common and easier to find parts for. You will need to determine the size and threads per inch for the outside and the taper for the inside of the spindle, then you can start looking for any of the parts you are missing and may want/need.

Good luck and post some pics when you get it going.
      DonHo
      Don

Comment

• glencross
        Established Member
        • May 2005

old atlas lathe

thanks for these replies...now comes the hard part to find or make the necessary parts!!!if i ever get it working, will post pics ,,,,

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I don't know if this is much help but the "SKP" is probably "SKF".
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Popeye
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Woodbine, Ga
            • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by glencross
            thanks for these replies...now comes the hard part to find or make the necessary parts!!!if i ever get it working, will post pics ,,,,
            Post some pictures of it as it is now. You've got our curosity up, I love to see it. Pat
            Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• glencross
              Established Member
              • May 2005

old atlas lathe

ok i have taken pics of this beast but don't know how to send them either to you or bt3 generally..can anyone elucidate?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by glencross
                ok i have taken pics of this beast but don't know how to send them either to you or bt3 generally..can anyone elucidate?
                This is ONE WAY to do it.

reply to the message with the "Quote" button.

You'll see a "reply to Thread" box in which you type your reply below the quoted text.

In the next box down "additional Options"
                you'll see a group marked attach files... click on "Manage Attachments"

you'll get a popup box Manage Attachments.
                in it you'll find a group marked Upload file from your computer
                Use "browse" button next to each line to fill as many of the lines as you want. The Browser allows you to use the Windows file selector to pick files from your computer. From my experience, you should have JPEG files reduced to less than 97K (this usually means shrinking or scaling the image file to around 300 x 400 pixels in size)

Then click the upload button.
                Oversize files will be listed and you will have to resize and re-attache them.

Then click "close this window". Your pics will appear with your message.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...