First 3 Pens

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stockaholic
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2004
    • 25
    • Dayton, OH.

    #1

    First 3 Pens

    Here are my first forays into pen making. It is nice to spend about an hour in the shop and turn out a quality project.

    Pen #1 is on the left and is lacewood. Pen #3 is on the right and is pink ivory. Pen #2 was the victim of a nasty catch and lay shattered on my workshop floor [V]...Pen #3 turned out much better than the other two. Thanks for looking.

    Rob



  • monte
    ***** Windbag
    • Dec 2002
    • 5242
    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
    • GI 50-185M

    #2
    Good looking pens Rob.
    Monte (another darksider)
    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

    http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

    Comment

    • Doug Jones
      Established Member
      • Oct 2004
      • 332
      • Indiana
      • Delta 36-444

      #3
      Nothing wrong about those, looks great.

      Comment

      • Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 3862
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

        #4
        Real nice, Rob.
        Ken

        Comment

        • boblon
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2003
          • 727
          • Florida, USA.

          #5
          Nice job.

          BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

          Comment

          • Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 3281
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

            #6
            Looking good. Welcome to pen turning.
            Dick

            http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

            Comment

            • mater
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • 4197
              • SC, USA.

              #7
              Those are very nice looking pens for your first ones.
              Ken aka "mater"

              " People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

              Ken's Den

              Comment

              • Chuck C
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • 430
                • USA.

                #8
                Nice looking pens Rob.
                Chuck C

                If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

                Comment

                • Radman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 60
                  • Iowa

                  #9
                  Rob...
                  Those look great. Hope my first ones come out half as nice!
                  Radman[8D]
                  Tom in Iowa
                  ...We're all written in pencil

                  Comment

                  • germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 3567
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

                    #10
                    Real purty. You're hooked!

                    FYI I use a Sorby spindlemaster for most of the shaping of the pen blanks then occasionally for a straight piece smooth it down with a skew before sanding. It's ALMOST impossible to get a catch with the spindlemaster.

                    Jeff


                    “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

                    Comment

                    • LCHIEN
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 22085
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

                      #11
                      I think pen #2 is made of invisible wood. At least That's what I would say .

                      They look nice.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                      Comment

                      • germdoc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • 3567
                        • Omaha, NE
                        • BT3000--the gray ghost

                        #12
                        I will say that pen stuff is addictive. I've made 2 for me, at least one for all my family, all my friends, now I'm to the point of giving them away to strangers. Hmmm--maybe I'll have to start selling them??

                        Jeff


                        “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

                        Comment

                        • kyle.w
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 425
                          • paw paw, mi, USA.
                          • GI 50-185M

                          #13
                          Good looking pens

                          Comment

                          • stockaholic
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jun 2004
                            • 25
                            • Dayton, OH.

                            #14
                            Thanks all for the kind comments and the tips. You guys are right, I am hooked. Isn't there a law that products that cause addiction come with some kind of warning label? Something like: "Warning! Lathes are hazardous to your wallet and are known to cause marital distress." [)]

                            Rob

                            Comment

                            • monte
                              ***** Windbag
                              • Dec 2002
                              • 5242
                              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                              • GI 50-185M

                              #15
                              quote:Originally posted by germdoc

                              I will say that pen stuff is addictive. I've made 2 for me, at least one for all my family, all my friends, now I'm to the point of giving them away to strangers. Hmmm--maybe I'll have to start selling them??

                              Geez Jeff. I'll be glad to take one if you're giving them away.
                              Monte (another darksider)
                              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

                              http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

                              Comment

                              Working...