• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

broken bit

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240425_153227.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.0 KB ID:	858645Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	858646

I broke a bit in woodworking for the first time in god knows how long.
    1/8" brad point, DP set for 900 RPM.
    Treated pine , one inch wide pictured. Had the fence set so it drilled 1/2" from the fence.

Big Red arrow outline is the intended center of the hole. Red line arrow is the path it took.

I think the bit hit the hard dark grain and walked off to the side following that real soft white grain - you can see the entry point is to the left of the dark hard grain and the bit bent and broke before I knew it.

Faster RPM (Wood Speed chart says 1800 RPM for brad point 3000 RPM for regular twist drill?
    Less bit extension from the chuck (but I did want to drill a one inch deep pilot hole...)? (so it deflects less)

I think I solved it...
    First I increased the bit speed to 3000 RPM
    Then I used a regular 118° pointed bit
    Finally I used a automatic center punch to put a good deep starting divot where I wanted the bit to enter even if it was on a hard grain edge.

The bit turning fast was able to stay in the divot and eat away at the wood and make good holes. Finished all 8 without further issue. Once it entered in the right place, it keeps going straight.
    At too slow a speed the bit deflected faster than it ate away, the divot helped it stay on point as it ate away.

Dang, I had that bit for 20 years... part of a Delta set of 7 brad point bits, my first brad point bits.
    Learn something every day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-26-2024, 02:07 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

What was the speed of the descent of the bit onto the wood? (Could that have been a factor?)

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      normal feed rates, I think. I expected the wood to be kind of soft (treated pine).
Working...