• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

New Brad point bits Fisch

Some short time ago I replaced my Forstner bits I'd been using for probably 20 years with a top of the line Freud set and found they cut much better - especially clean exit holes instead of tearing out in the back. They also cut much faster. Probably cost 5X as much, too. But I thought it was a worthwhile upgrade.

So I was wondering about the brad point bits I have been using a set from Delta or about 20 years as well.
    I decided the potential upside was as good as for the Forstners and sprung for a set of 7 brad point bits from Fisch, made in Austria.

I made a quick test in some soft cedar scraps
    Both pics: New Fisch, top Old Delta Bottom
    FIrst Pic Entry hole
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB140039.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	856961

Second pic, Exit hole with a slightly chewed up backer board.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB140041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.9 KB ID:	856962

Set of bits in the holders I made for 7-bit set, Sizes in 16ths.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PB140042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	856963 Click image for larger version  Name:	PB140043.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.9 KB ID:	856964

Conclusion - some new, sharp, Quality bits do make a difference.

In the past, On projects where the lack of hole tearout was important, I would drill to the point where the brad point center would just poke through, then flip the work over and place the brad point into the tiny hole and make a second entry from the back side with perfect alignment of the holes. While this works really well, it obviously takes more work so I am excited about better bits.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-14-2023, 06:56 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
Working...