• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stick
    • Sep 2003
    • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
    • BT3100

B&D drill powered bandsaw

Anyone have one of these things? I just found one in a vehicle I bought. Set it up and it's REALLY noisy! Is there any maintenance that is supposed to be done on the driven bushing and gear train on these things?
  • Chuck C
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • USA.

Can we see a picture?
    Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• Stick
      • Sep 2003
      • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Chuck C

Can we see a picture?
      Unfortunately, it's at home, and I'm 700km away at work. It's about a 7-1/2" and it's orange. The drill drives it from the bottom left rear corner. The gear train (3 gears) appears to be plastic, and there's what looks to be a bronze bushing on the driveshaft. I knew I should have taken pics of it, that someone would ask! I tried it out with a 1/2" variable speed hammer drill. Might try it with my big ol' antique 1/2" single speeder that'll twist your arms outta the sockets if the bit catches. It works ok, but obviously it's going to be awfully limited. But hey, it was free!

Comment

• Tundra_Man
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I had one about 10 years ago. I picked it up at a garage sale for $20 with the drill attached to a big piece of plywood.

Mine was a nasty serenity-sucking machine. I never could get it to cut straight, or follow a curved line. It excelled at cutting curves in every other direction, though. I didn't think the thing was noisy enough because you could still hear my cursing above it.

What kind of vehicle did you buy where you just happen to "find" a bandsaw in it?
        Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sounds like you could waste a lot of time on that piece of BS.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Stick
            • Sep 2003
            • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Tundra_Man

I had one about 10 years ago. I picked it up at a garage sale for $20 with the drill attached to a big piece of plywood.

Mine was a nasty serenity-sucking machine. I never could get it to cut straight, or follow a curved line. It excelled at cutting curves in every other direction, though. I didn't think the thing was noisy enough because you could still hear my cursing above it.

What kind of vehicle did you buy where you just happen to "find" a bandsaw in it?
            This one is on a big chunk of plywood too, but no drill!

You got that right about not cutting anywhere close to where you want. This thing must be near the top of the "most useless tools" list! It is noisy though, and then some! That's why I was thinking dried out from sitting. There doesn't look to ever have been any kind of lube in it.

Vehicle is an old 9500 GMC tandem straight truck that had a 26' van body and an electric/hydraulic endgate on it. I wanted the van body for storage and the truck to set up as a flatdeck and machinery hauler. The van body was full of junk, and I noticed this thing as I was cleaning it out at the dump. A bunch of scrap metal and 3 trailer axles I kept, and about 100 five gallon oil pails. The rest was stuff like old rusted out barbed wire and broken fence posts, moldy matresses, hot water tanks, a stove, 2 fridges, old eavestrough, broken mason jars, tires with holes in them, typical garbage around a farm. Truck's got a good 6-71 and 13 over and decent tires and brakes. It had been sitting for over ten years and started within about 30 seconds' cranking after hooking up a couple of good batteries. Built 100 psi air within about 5 minutes the first time and is getting better every time I start it. No leaks in the brake system at all. That amazed me.

Comment

• Tundra_Man
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Stick
              I sold mine on a garage sale about a year after I bought it. I'd laugh if the person who bought it scabbed the drill and now it happens to be in your hands![^]

I can't imagine B&D sold too many of those things.
              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Stick
                • Sep 2003
                • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by Tundra_Man

quote:Originally posted by Stick
                I sold mine on a garage sale about a year after I bought it. I'd laugh if the person who bought it scabbed the drill and now it happens to be in your hands![^]

I can't imagine B&D sold too many of those things.
                Especially from SD to Saskatchewan. There were 4 furniture moving company stickers on it, so somebody carted it around for a while.

I bet more than a few well-meaning wives bought them as presents for beloved hubbies, sorta like the versa-pak cordless tools. Can't see a guy ever buying those either. At least not one that had much of a clue. My own LOML used to always buy me B&D tools until I politely asked her to stop, and either let me pick the tools, or go shopping together. She thought she was doing really good shopping on her own and asking salespeople for advice and such. She was kind of miffed at very first, until she started doing some woodworking on her own and realized just how bad they were!

Comment

Working...