• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Mending pneumatic hoses.

So my Central Pneumatic hose reel is at least 10 years old now, and I am getting some splits in the hose close to the end. I use every single inch of the 50' of hose in there, and honestly could use it to be longer, so cutting the hose back and reattaching the end just won't cut it.

I have a couple of options, First I could use a 3/8" double barb and crimp ferrules as I am NOT going to use screw on clamps as they tend to tear up hoses and hands. Hard pass on that.

The other option is just replace the hose with a new one.

So Harbor Freight has 3/8 x 50 rubber air hoses, for $36.00, or I could go with a Goodyear from Amazon for $22.00.

Not a hard choice to make...

So I grabbed the Goodyear from Amazon, but now I have a full 48' of perfectly usable 3/8" rubber hose.

And I frequently end up needing short jumper hoses to go from compressors to T fitting, and T fitting to moisture separator.

Yes I said compressors. I have a HF 12 gallon, and a HF 29 gallon that I have teamed up. It gives me over 10scfm at 40 psi, which is WAY more than enough to drive my HVLP.

SO for future maintenance, and to insure I can make right sized hoses, I grabbed a box of ferrules, and a ferrule crimper, yeah the cheap one that looks like odd Vice Grips, from Amazon. This will allow me MUCH greater flexibility than I am used to and save in the long term on hoses.

It should be noted, in the long term INSIDE the shop I am planning on soldering up a copper system for air distribution. The big issue long term is going to be the compressor rig in the upcoming shop, while being ablet to keep compresse air in the driveway. Will likely keep the 12 gallon ready to roll out to the drive if needed...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...