X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodward
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2021

Eagle Tools 14" band saw

I recently purchased a used 14" band saw (made in Taiwan) which was sold by a company named 'Eagle Tools'. It's not by the California outfit of the same name (at least I'm pretty certain it is not). It seems to be older. Probably manufactured in the 60's or 70's. Has anybody ever heard of them? I bought it wanting to buy a riser block for it to increase my re-saw capacity. Now, is it my understanding that many of the Taiwanese 14" band saws use the same foundry? It looks almost identical to a Delta and/or Central Machinery 14" band saw.. I see that 6" riser blocks aren't exactly cheap. I'd like to know (if anyone has knowledge of these Taiwan manufactured band saws) if a Delta or CM block kit would fit it? I've also read that the Grizzly G0555 riser block kit may fit Taiwan-built saws? I'm worried that I may have some model where the pins are set in some odd location where it would be hit or miss on what would fit it. So, I guess my question would be: Can I use any of the aforementioned brand riser blocks on my saw?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Can I use any of the aforementioned brand riser blocks on my saw?
    I am sure you could but the answer is depending on how much alterations you are willing or capable of doing.

IF there are/were alignment pin for one that are not aligned with the other, there will probably be several other ways to make your own alignments and still be able to clamp down.

I understand the hesitancy though! I have thought of modifying this and that over the years on different tools; some I did and some I did not. I haven't ruined anything so far.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

You are correct in that many of the band saws made Taiwan appear to have a common design. I don't own a 14" band saw, but over the years I've looked at a few with the thought of buying one, and I've had the same thoughts. What you might want to do is take some dimensions and post them (photos help), or even call Grizzly (or whoever) customer service to see if they can help.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

If I understand, the riser blocks have flanges with bolt holes that will line up as well as some positioning alignment pins.
        If I recall from previous discussions, some saws by some manufacturers share the hole and pin pattern and some do not in an apparent attempt to make you buy their riser.
        One way is to try and see, it can be expensive and time consuming if it doesn't fit.
        The other way is to get machine drawings of the saw you have and the drawings of the risers you wish to use and compare them... both may be daunting if the saw maker is out of business as you mention and the other is in business but does not want to give out drawings so that people can copy them. While not parentable, the manufacturing drawings are usually considered proprietary information.
        The final way is to measure (basically reverse engineer) your saw and a questionable riser to see if the hole patterns and pin diameters match.
        Unless you are lucky and find someone with the same combination (unlikely since I never heard of that brand, so I doubt its popular) you are going to have a lot of work to do....
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-29-2021, 02:31 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

I have a Taiwan band saw that is branded "Packard Precision". If it was labeled "Delta", no one would ever question it. I've bought Delta parts for it and they fit perfectly.
          I wanted to increase the resaw capacity when I bought it, and bought a block of aluminum 1.25 inches thick and put it between the upper and lower sections. There was no pin or other auxiliary locating feature, just the 1" bolt. I bought a longer bolt and made a new rear blade guard/guide out of plexi, and I was good to go for 6". The bonus to that scheme was that a standard length bandsaw blade still fits it

Comment

Working...