X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dra7795
    Handtools only
    • Feb 2021

craftsman radial arm saw

I picked up a 1973 Craftsman RAS, The unit wouldn't raise or lower. I took apart the unit, cleaned and lubed it. Now the unit raises and lowers properly. I'm having difficulty putting the unit back together. There is a brake shoe, I'm not sure how to put back in place. The part number 40 listed as Shoe brake. If anyone knows how to install this piece your help is highly appreciated.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-09-2021, 06:48 PM. Reason: fix typo in title
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I find the manual reference strange to me as it doesn't look like the RAS that I have. The date on the manual, though not clear, seems to indicate 1977. But it does show the cast iron column, which I understand was last used in 1973 and that is the year I bought my RAS, which has a model number 113.29461 and a manual number 63492, and a form number of SP3855-2 dated 1-73.

So, you are talking about the "brake" on the arm, which fits over the column and appears on the parts list illustration as being tucked up under the arm where it fits over the column. (My first thought was that you were talking about the motor brake, sorry!)

Let me look into this, as I see no instructions or even reference in the text of my manual, only the parts list. If I can find the time tomorrow I'll go out the shop and see what I can see.

I've never had the need to take the arm off the column on my RAS, so other than lubricating that area, I'm not familiar with the components. I'll look into it and post again.

CWS

Last edited by cwsmith; 02-09-2021, 08:39 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I see you haven't posted back, so I'll wait on further exploration. I pulled my back yesterday afternoon, so I won't be going out to the shop today, maybe it will be better tomorrow and we'll see.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ericfreund
        Handtools only
        • Dec 2021

I was searching yesterday for the same issue and did not find anything regarding reassembling the are on the column of my radial arm saw. I spent several hours today figuring it out and documenting it on video.

Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff7cttqdEKM

I was actually attempting to fix the side to side play in the column with the set screws, but I still have to figure that out...The set screws did not tighten it. I have a feeling that it may be the "key to the column". Mine looks damaged, but I still have to try to fix it.

Hope the video helps.

Comment

Working...