• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Darn! ZCTP damaged when making angled cut

Titled my BT3000 blade about 10 degrees for a cut and forgot I had the zero clearance insert in it. Did not feel the resistance to tilting I would have had if I did 45°
    Turned on and c*r*a*p, a shower of plastic and some loud noise told me I'd screwed up my nice ZCTP.
    I've almost done it before but the resistance of tiling always alerted me to the jam. I guess I could have been worse, breaking the belts!

Anyone done this before? I really like keeping the ZCTP in it. I hate having narrow cutoffs falling in and getting jammed and not supporting thin rips.

Has anyone made a partly ZCTP - close fitting for 0 to 45° but not quite ZCTP or is that really what the original metal throat plate is.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-23-2021, 04:45 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Oh of coures! The damaged ZCTP became one for a dado setup later on. After about five years of ownership of my BT3K, I purchased ten plastic blanks for future use and for when they became scarce. I haven't used the original steel throat plate since I first got the BT3K. Goes right along with cutting the end off of the end cap on the fence for the SMT. Yes, I bought extras of those too.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...