No announcement yet.

Combo square set

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Combo square set

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20201028-215625_Chrome.jpg Views:	19 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	841134 Just received a pair of combo squares (6" and 12") from Lee Valley for $40.

    The set is from I gaging.

    I'm impressed by the case they came in, as well as the computer printout of precision tests. I have an old starett center finder, and a protractor. The 12" fits both!

    I'm tired of buying cheap non-square squares. Hope these last a while!
    Last edited by durango dude; 10-30-2020, 09:06 PM.

  • #2
    Those are good looking tools, and I agree - tools which don't need to double/triple-check are worth a premium price!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle


    • #3
      I have a Starrett 24 in combination square and really like it. It was my dad's and he passed away 25 years ago. It is my basic "go to" square.

      I have needed other versions and sizes and ended up buying them on eBay. There are cheap ones and there are good quality ones much less than Starrett. I look for "seconds" that have scratches on the finish and they are available at times. Just have to look for them. That is how I buy my steel rules - look for a quality brand and then look for blemished finish ones at a discount.
      Hank Lee

      Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!


      • #4
        Yup @ Lee.

        Harry Epstein sells PEC blems ---- I just don't see whether or not they're in a case.
        If I knew his squares were in a case, I might buy them.


        • GrumpyDad
          GrumpyDad commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in that (quite amazing store) today. It is like stepping back in time. There are literally items on the shelf from WW1.

          Would be happy to go in and ascertain details. Or just call the guys. They are a phenomenal resource.

      • #5
        Here is my four-piece Starrett combination square set. Bought from eBay a few years back for about $63 bucks I recall.
        Housed in a Harborfeight case for a $8 combination set that was so bad I threw away two pieces and kept the only the rule and centerfinder, and the box.

        I use a couple of Stanley combination square rules I have had even longer,
        Should I break these out and use them? Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300011.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.0 KB ID:	841148Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300012.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	841147Click image for larger version  Name:	PA300013.JPG Views:	0 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	841146
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-30-2020, 02:02 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ -


        • #6
          I have a friend who calls an adjustable square a ‘try square’ but I learned many years ago in JR high school wood shop that a ‘try square’ is a small fixed square that I think is also called an engineers square. I think that he went thru a carpenters apprentice program and he did a lot of sheet rock work until he became a sheetrock estimator for most of his workin life.

          as I am more of a wood butcher rather than a wood worker I would appreciate any comment about try squares and adjustable squares.


          • #7
            Click image for larger version  Name:	try square.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	841265
            According to the internet, your definition is correct, I also call them engineer's squares, but they are fixed.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	combination square.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	841266
            These are adjustable or combination squares.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-10-2020, 12:28 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ -