• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Found Objects - Possible Futures

The dump bins at my work are always interesting sources of materials. A couple objects that are screaming for ideas are pictured below. Welcoming input from the creative powers here.

The sliding apparatus in 31 inches when extended and made of 3/16" steel - qty 4

The Metal piece with 3 cutout sections is 31 inches and made of 3/16" steel - qty 4

The other mount is a single unit about 5 inches tall. Nicely milled aluminum

Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad

Attached Files
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

The white hinged thing is a heavy duty VESA mount for various industrial control panels (HMI). I have that exact piece holding a GPS panel in a tractor. I believe the mounting holes are 75mm apart. The part that has screws in it hits into a slotted bracket.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

When I worked in the compressor industry (at one time the largest compressor manufacturing plant in the world), there'd be all kinds of stuff in the dumpsters place around the shops. Used to almost make me sick to see what they'd throw away, and yet.... no employee was allowed to touch it. You get caught and you could well be fired. I remember one time seeing a dumpster full of electric motor. They were small, maybe only four or five inches in diameter, with sealed housings... and every single power cable was purposely cut off right at the enclosure. There must have been at least a hundred motors filling the dumpster and all had been destroyed (I saw no way of opening those housings) and all were headed to the scrap yard.

One time, shortly after a systems manager was layed off, they had a dumpster full of computer software manuals. They caught my eye because I had been pushing the guy to provide manuals to employees and this particular program was one that I had taught. Now, they were all waste!

The plant wouldn't even allow broken pallets to go to the employees for scrap. Such is the way things go too often.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

CWS - my (former) company is the same way: trash was trash and not to be touched/taken by other employees. Much went to recycling centers so employees taking stuff would reduce recycling income slightly I guess. Or maybe they feared employees taking hazardous waste home? Of proprietary information/parts getting out in the public? Or employees marking parts as "bad" or "broken" or whatever - not usable and thus trash - because they could use those parts themselves? Like the motors CWS mentioned... Many manufacturing centers require employees to provide their own tools as a way to prevent employees from stealing company-provided screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sometimes equipment is written off as a tax deduction (loss) when scrapped. As a condition for writing off the equipment must be rendered useless so that it couldn't be sold as surplus and then the money pocketed at government expense twice.
          Keeping employees from taking it home prevents fraud where an employee says some "broken" expensive item is irreparable and then picking it up from the dumpster on the way out - fraud against the company.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-07-2020, 02:49 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...