• LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Gimlets

Actually this is not a power tool.

But I find them very useful.

Gimlets. Click image for larger version  Name:	Gimlets_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	840202 I got these from Lee Valley. Great for manually making a few starter holes, pilot holes even punching hole locations.

You got an instant choice of sizes 5/64" to 3/16" and you don't need to get out a drill, get a bit, chuck up the bit and then put them all away when done.

Self driving, cordless, hand powered, quiet in operation. Screw tip pulls it into the wood, flutes clear the hole.

Anyone else uses them?

Oooh, they gone up a bit since I got mine, still available though.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...s?item=33J2001
    Click image for larger version  Name:	33J2001-set-of-7-auger-gimlets-u-02-r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.9 KB ID:	840204

Woodcraft has a set of 4 for around $5. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/g...hoC3LcQAvD_BwE
    Click image for larger version  Name:	detail.jpg?c=1480947576.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	840203

set of four is all you need, covering the same range with just fewer sizes, I think the Lee Valley set is too many, in retrospect.

And Amazon has several sets available, too. They're not too high tech.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-08-2020, 04:09 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Yes, quite usable tools, but just another tool for me to lose on the workbench. Not the tool’s fault, but all on me.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• GrumpyDad
      Established Member
      • Jul 2020
      • Midwest
      • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

This is one of my favorite hand tools...and one that most people rarely encounter. When I was a kid there was a single unit that came in a screwdriver set from Radio Shack of all places. I used it on projects for years. Then my local hardware store had a bargain bin of things they acquired in a competitor buyout and the golden light doth shine from within the bin guiding my hand to the goodness of a multi pack very similar to what you display above.

I danced with depraved abandon and scurried to the register with my $2.99 special.

Was not a grumpy day that day.

Grumpydad
      Harumpf!
      GrumpyDad

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have a couple of those but haven't used them more than twice I bought them in the mid 90's. I know where they are - in my wood working tool chest.

I need to start getting rid of some of the good tools that I never use. I just need to find someone who will use good tools wisely.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...