• Show
Clear All
  • seahawk
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2012
    • Maryland
    • BT 3000 x 2!

Source for moulding plane blades?

Can anyone recommend a source for purchasing a few moulding planes? They belonged to my great-grandfather, and I will restore to usable condition.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I don'd have any experience with molding planes, but I did a "Google" to see what was out there and found this: https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/41...ne-iron-blanks

(Here is the Google search results: https://www.google.com/search?q=mold...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also, I know that Lee-Valley also makes various kinds of plane blades, including for some Japanese wood planes: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sear...g+plane+blades

But of course I don't know if either LIe-Nielsen or Lee-Valley have exactly what you are looking for. It is impossible to tell from your photo exactly what the shape of the blades might be.

Hopefully this will get you started though,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I can ask a friend of mine that started a woodworking shop and reproduces crown molding, dental molding etc for old southern style houses on plantations in this area. Not long ago while visiting his shop he was showing me his old shaper and said that they had a source of knives where they sent a sample of the molding and recieved matched knives. ???.

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by seahawk
        Can anyone recommend a source for purchasing a few moulding planes? They belonged to my great-grandfather, and I will restore to usable condition.
        I have usually made my own. Get a blank of ground O-1 or O-2 tool steel from MSC or similar source, grind the edge to profile with a bench grinder and dremel tool, harden with propane oxygen-acetylene torches, temper in the kitchen oven, then sharpen.

A local blacksmith should also be able to make the blades.

MWTCA is active in your area and you may well be able to find suitable blades at one of their swap meets, or a blade of the right size with a different profile that you can regrind.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• seahawk
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2012
          • Maryland
          • BT 3000 x 2!

Thanks for the suggestions. Life got busy after my post, sorry I did not follow up... I ended up ordering the closest match from LN. I will need to grind it down, the treat/temper it afterwards. Have not done that before, and only own a propane torch, so need to do some research. I'll post my results.

Comment

Working...