• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Framer gun controversy

I am finishing my basement, and ran head on into the clipped head controversy. I bought a 28 deg frame nailer from HF. It uses clipped head nails. Then I noticed HF did not have nails. No problem, said Lowes, we have all types of nails. Great, so I give them the specs....... long awkward silence... except that size......

..... and I thought nails were as simple.....
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Aren't clipped head nails not allowed in some jurisdictions? I didn't realize anybody still sold clipped head nail guns. (But I'm not really knowledgeable in that area). I just recently bought a Hitachi NR90AES1 and really like it in case you change your mind and are willing to spend more money.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I am of the understanding that "clipped-head" nails are not allowed in most structural situations, certainly that is the case here where I live, if I'm not mistaken. When I worked, more than a decade ago, they used to use clipped-head nails in the shipping dept. where larger heavy component parts were shipped in fabricated wood boxes, but that was done away with almost twenty years ago now in favor of round-head nailers. My understanding of that change was because it required a lot more nails to hold together under stress than a round-head nail did... I guess they had some boxes separate during transit.

On the 'availability' issue, I have a HF round-head nailer, and it works okay... BUT it is rated for up to 3-1/4 inch nails. But they don't sell that size, having only 3-1/2 inch in stock. No matter the adjustment, and at maximum pressure, it always leaves those nails sticking out about a quarter inch. Unfortunately I was using smaller nails initially and when I discovered the problem, I was past the 'return' date. I bought a Ridgid which does do the job.

I'm no expert (just a homeowner now), but it appears that only the 21-degree nailers that seem to be full "round-head"... all the others are "clipped-head" nailers. Am I correct in that statement?

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Did some research.

Most 38 degree units use offset (clipped) heads.... that allows more nails.

Although there is no empirical evidence that clipped head nails are more prone to pop loose in a building cstostrophe (earthquake, etc), they have been banned for structural use in many places.

Bostich came up with offset round heads, which apparently works. However, Their nails are assembled with small welds which later fly out when nailing.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

You never know what is behind the logic in some of our building code regulations. In my neck of the woods I heard from roofer friends that all pneumatic tools were banned on roofs by code enforcement. It seems that staple guns were being used to attach shingles and that was definable against code, and since clip head framing nails were also banned, in code enforcement minds all nail guns must use clip heads, so no roofing nail guns were allowed on roofs. I suspect that the truth was the code enforcement people couldn’t tell the difference between a staple gun and a nail gun without doing their job of getting out of the truck and climbing on the roof to see what was happening. In the last 2 years following 2 hurricanes I have been hearing nail guns on roofs again. Maybe someone finally wised up, or some of the larger company roofer crews called their hand of the issue.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Framing in a basement shouldn’t be considered a structural wall and clip headed nails would be ok.

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              Framing in a basement shouldn’t be considered a structural wall and clip headed nails would be ok.
              Still against code, though, IBC (which is supposed to be adopted by fed law everywhere in the US) prohibits clip head nails for construction.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...