• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Stupid Human Trick...

I was down in the shop working on the coffee table build today. I have been gluing up some pieces to make raised panels for the ends of the table carcass. I have been biscuit joining the boards for the panels and had my DeWalt jointer set up with a 12 foot long 1 1/2" vac hose attached to the ShopVac I use for dust collection. I have the boards all marked up so I could cut the slots for a panel all at once, even though I only do one join at a time. It's easier for me to get every thing aligned, clamped, and wiped up to do one joint at a time. Takes longer, but I get better results with less sanding afterwards. Anyway, I'm happily buzzing along with the joiner with it plugged into my tool switched outlet and wearing a set of Peltor muffs. I get all done and go to vac up some stray chips and notice there is NO suction at all. I take off the muffs and the ShopVac is screaming on stall. Turns out the entire 12 feet of vac hose is full of shavings. It takes me two hours using a drain snake to finally get the hose free. By the time I was done, the shop is covered in shavings from the biscuit joiner. I'd have been better off just letting the chips fly and cleaning up later. I've used this setup for decades and this is the first time this has happened. Next time I'll pay closer attention to the dust collection.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Thankfully you didn't overheat the vac motor. When wearing my ear muffs, I can't really hear either the tool or the vac that clearly, so one thing I do when using my Ridgid 12-gal shop vac is to go over and touch the motor housing on occasion.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Man, that is some good hearing protection!

Probably one of the few times I've clogged my shopvac hose has been with a biscuit cutter, too.

We helped fill bags of pasta at a food pantry yesterday using a semi-automated bag filler. Dry pasta gets scooped into a hopper, you hold an empty bag below and press a button to dispense the pasta. The geometry of the pasta was such that when the hopper dispensed its load all at once into the narrowed neck of the chute, it would periodically jam. I'd have to do a "Fonzy tap" on the side of the chute to free it. Really frustrating. Similar to you, if the pantry just had a scoop that was the same size as what the machine dispensed (the scoop I had to fill the hopper was a tad too big), it would have been faster to just fill the bags from the scoop than using that machine.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I have a 12” long piece of red flagging tape tied to center of the top of my shop vac motor for that very reason! When the vac is running the tape waves above the machine like one of those fan figures you see at used car lots.

Comment

Working...