• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

compact router

I'm tired of lugging around the monster router for small projects.

Am looking at compact routers.

My local Lowes has DeWalt and Bosch.

I'm thinking of a DeWalt router and the Rockler trim router table.

I make a lot of signs, these days. Trying to figure out the best way to go.
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have the Dewalt 611 combo kit - fixed and plunge bases. The plunge base on mine works quite smoothly and easily. Overall I'm very satisfied with mine. I got it from Rockler or Woodcraft - can't remember which - when they were first introduced at a low introductory promo price. No regrets. I can't remember ever using the fixed base for anything other than a just-to-try-it sample test cut... the plunge base works for pretty much everything I do with this router.

I haven't used the small Bosch one though I have the common mid-size Bosch router and it's been good so far. My only gripe with the Bosch routers is compatibility with aftermarket stuff - especially the standard Porter-Cable sized guide bushings and whatnot. My Bosch multi-base kit (some flavor of the 1617 series combo) needed extra-cost adapters to use standard bushings. I don't know if the small Bosch router needs adapters to be PC bushing compatible or not... if that matters to you. It did to me and the Dewalt 611 takes the standard bushings.

mpc

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a couple of Bosch 1617 - one EVS for handheld work and one fixed speed with an external speed control for my router table and lift - mounted more or less permanently.

But now I have Bosch palm router PR20EVSK with EVS and its great for small jobs and roundovers or bevels on smaller items where taking off a lot of wood is not necessary. Love it that its so easy to use with just one hand holding it around the circumference, I have to use two hands for the 1617evs.

It takes a bit to get used to the bit depth/elevation setting.

And I had to invest in a set of roundover bits and a 45 deg chamfer bit with 1/4" shanks as all my bits are pretty much 1/2" shanks where ever possible.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-23-2018, 07:35 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I have the HF cheap one--paid about $24 with coupon. The base isn't great and the depth adjustment is finicky, but I have tried to destroy it with various tasks and it just keeps working. It's basically a more powerful Dremel with a 1/4" collet, but it works for what I need so far. I do prefer using it over a bigger router. It probably does 80% of what I need a hand held router to do.
        Joe

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I bought the Dewalt. Kind of impressed. It’s going to become a favorite soon.

Comment

Working...