Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

What I like about DeWalt

Not about the DeWalt tool, but the color:

Just after the time we got back from Japan in December of 2010, our storage house which my dad had built (to be used as a fair sized play house) was attacked with termites. The floor joists and frame were built with pressure treated 2x8. However the sub flooring and top layer were not PT (of course). Termites got into the sub flooring and almost into the walls while we had all of our “stuff” (40ft container) from Japan jammed in. We had to take that “stuff” out while the termite people did a great job, but the wood flooring were torn out in a 6 x 12 section and treated (almost half of the floor); also treated all around the outside into the ground. We covered the “stuff” for a week, covered the 6x12 section inside with (3) 4x8 PT 3/4 sheets of plywood. “Stuff” was put back in. Over several weeks, we got much of the stuff out, unpacked and into our house, AND before fixing the play house, two daughters - one married and one not - were in a "moving" process in different states. They, of course, started bringing excess “stuff” for us to keep! Finally, We got most of their "stuff" out last summer and a little more late last fall.

At last, I can get back into the house to fix and make into my air conditioned workshop - for some of my tools, but not for the bandsaw, table saw and miter saw, which are in a 10x16 screened-in section next to the play house room. Not sure if my grizzly lathe will work inside or not. I am working to build up the foundational support on the side that the grizzly will sit.

Now for the point. In cutting out and tearing out square sections of flooring and sub flooring to add in (3) 4x8 sheets of PT plywood for a subfloor, I have lost my hammers countless times and lost my pry bars countless times. But the DeWalt circular saw stands out even when it is on the ground below the joists. After losing my small sledge hammer for the umpteenth time and two pry bars (laying on the ground or in the shadow of a board), I hunted for and found my yellow duct tape and wound it around both hammers (1 gray and 1 blue) and two pry bars. This morning, finding them became easier!

I like bright tools for their “find-ability”. The multi-color of recent tools are helpful but yellow really stands out, even in shadows. DeWalt knew something a loooong time ago! I also didn't have a problem finding the orange Fein Mulitmaster that let me cut in tight and flush situations. BRIGHT colors do help!
    Last edited by leehljp; 11-15-2019, 07:35 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

I agree. I have a couple of small black tools that seem to get used and lost on every project, a small pry bar and 1.5" putty knife. I'm not really sure why those tools get used as much as they do, but there always seems to be something that needs them - stickers scraped off, staples pried, etc. I think I'll add some yellow tape or paint to them soon. If I added up all the 5-10 minutes of time that I've spent searching for them over the past 15 years, it would easily be enough time to knock out one of the projects that has been on my "to do list" for a few years.
    Bill

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Bright pink. It will stand out when working with others, and generally guys don't ask, or don't hang onto pink tools that they have borrowed.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
        Bright pink. It will stand out when working with others, and generally guys don't ask, or don't hang onto pink tools that they have borrowed.
        Last year, I bought some fluorescent pink spray paint and painted the edges of my ladder. After a week of looking at it and saying "no one will steal that" - I found a can of gray I had on hand and painted over the pink. I couldn't stand the bright pink!

Pink would work - If I could stand it.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I've tried yellow/orange golf balls but that hasn't helped my game.

I do agree about the Dewalt yellow. I've got one of their reciprocating saws and the tracksaw and they are easy to spot when I'm using them once they're out of the cases. Their cases are black, though. I'm not neat and tidy but I do like to store tools in the cases they came with.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I have to admit, YELLOW is a good color for many tools. IT get's grudgy looking though over time, unless you're a clean freak, which I am to some extent.... I like to keep my tools clean.

I don't own any DeWalt tools however. But, I'm not in the commercial/trades business, like my Dad was, so trying to keep things orderly is a bit easier. Biggest loss of tools for me is screw drivers. I simply don't know where they all go; and once lost, they never seem to be found again. I do love those Stanley bright yellow tape measures and it is tape measures that always seem to be temporarily misplaced when I'm in the midst of a project... that and my the drafting pencils (lead holders) that I now use for marking.

Most all of my hand-held power tools are Ryobi (the blue ones) or Ridgid "orange". I do have a few older Craftsman corded tools. Black, Orange and Red (I do have one Milwaukee drill that was my Dad's) are not nearly as visible as a DeWalt 'yellow', but because most of them are plugged in at the time of use, they are not hard to find. When not in use, most any of my hand-held power tools are promptly returned to their cases.... Never hard to find in the midst of a project, because that's usually the thing I just tripped over. New shop, whenever I can find the time to finish it, will have those kinds of things stored in the overhead loft.

Now, what to do about those screwdrivers?

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

The newer Ryobi cordless tools are kind of ugly IMHO but easy to spot.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Hank,

After reading your post it finally dawned on me why I can never find my one and only metric tape measure. It is dark blue and black and even when it is put away where it is supposed to be, it is camouflaged on the black shelf where it sits. I've though it was missing many times and found it right where it is supposed to be when I got closer to it.
                Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                  Hank,

After reading your post it finally dawned on me why I can never find my one and only metric tape measure. It is dark blue and black and even when it is put away where it is supposed to be, it is camouflaged on the black shelf where it sits. I've though it was missing many times and found it right where it is supposed to be when I got closer to it.
                  I have a bunch of Ryobi green but even the bright green in shadows, particularly with the black and gray designs make it "hide". Yellow just stands out, even in shadows.

One item of design that "hides" things in plain sight is the mixing of designs with blacks and grays or darker colors.

I carry a Victrinox Yellow knife around (and have three) because they are easy to see.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cl...t%2Bknife&th=1
                  I can't tell you how many of those I have lost until I started buying yellow ones.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Lee,

I have that exact, same model of the Victorinox, I like like it because it is easily tucked into the watch-pocket of my jeans and it has so many features for it's small size that it is almost indispensable. And, I must admit that I've misplaced it a few times... panic! Mine is red, and fortunately I've always managed to find it soon after it was misplaced.

So thanks for the link, and I shall have to look at buying a couple more and in the process get a couple for my grandsons.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
                      The newer Ryobi cordless tools are kind of ugly IMHO but easy to spot.
                      Not a fan of the new Ryobi color at all. The Blue was at least sensible looking. That fluorescent green just looks cheap to me.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was really missing my yellow Stanley tape measure tonight. Took me a good minute to find my new fangled double sided tape which is black and dark green. It wasn't even buried in junk.

Comment

Working...