• Show
Clear All
  • Relative
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Garden Grove, CA
    • Ridgid R4512

HF Miter Saws

I have the HF 98194 12" compound miter saw. Got the 12" version because I felt most of my cuts would be on 2x4 and larger type lumber and precision wasn't the main factor, although it has been more than accurate enough for this.

After equipping it with a diamond blade and making 130 cuts on concrete pavers, the slide function got rougher and rougher and was pretty well caked with the super-fine powder that came from the cuts. I disassembled the slides in order to get at the insides with an air gun. I made an interesting discovery. There were two linear motion bearings on the right side (45mm x 30mm x50mm) and a simple bushing 13mm deep on the left side near the front of the support arm housing. Pretty much what the parts listing called for except that bushing on the left should have been approximately 50mm long when eyeballing the parts listing. Not much support plus quite a bit of friction since there was no rolling bearing on the left.

I checked the current manuals for 12" miter saws offered and discovered different configurations. 61970 has 3 linear motion bearings (better setup than mine) and 61969 shows 4 linear motion bearings (much better than mine). The specs on the two current saws are identical, but the number of linear motion bearings has just got to be a consideration if you want a smoother operation.

I have a request in now to HF to find out if the linear motion bearings (LM30UU) are available so I can press them in place on the left side and hopefully improve the operation of my saw.

If you plan on buying one of these, or any other brand/model, I would suggest taking the time to look at the parts catalog to find out how they are configured.

Mike
    Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
  • dangre
    Norum Fewbie
    • Oct 2009
    • Gardnerville, NV
    • BT3100-1

Thanks Mike. Good info!
    Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• Relative
      Established Member
      • Mar 2007
      • Garden Grove, CA
      • Ridgid R4512

Response from HF is: "Unfortunately, that Miter Saw has been discontinued, and therefore, parts are no longer available."

I just responded and asked if the bearing from 61970 is available (since it is the same bearing and the saw is a current model). We'll see what the response is.

Mike
      Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Relative
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Garden Grove, CA
        • Ridgid R4512

Decided to try to hurry up this inquiry, so I called HF. The reply I got was they do not carry ANY parts for their miter saws.

Mike

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Unfortunately, that IS a problem with much, if not all, of the products that HF sells. While I don't own that particular tool, almost everything I do own from HF states in the product manual, on or near the exploded-view illustration, that "Some parts are listed and shown for illustration purposes only, and are not available individually as replacement parts."

I guess HF feels that going in the parts business is an expense that it doesn't want to be bothered with.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

You bought a throw away tool and have exhausted its usefulness, now it sounds like it is time to throw it away!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Is it this one? http://www.vxb.com/LM30UU-linear-mot...spYaApdJ8P8HAQ

You might also be able to find them through Amazon.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Relative
                Established Member
                • Mar 2007
                • Garden Grove, CA
                • Ridgid R4512

Yes. Talked to them yesterday and they have them in stock. Picking a pair up on Friday.

Comment

• Relative
                  Established Member
                  • Mar 2007
                  • Garden Grove, CA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Picked up two of LM30UU bearings and when I got home, discovered the two together are longer than the housing. This time I measured the length of the two actually installed on the right side and they are 35mm in length and these new ones are 64mm in length. Housing is 111mm long. I can install just one of them and expect an improvement in the sliding motion, but that will also block the thumbscrew that locks the slide shaft. Will have to drill and tap a spot in the right side - plenty of room between those two bearings.

Seems the LM30UU specification is supposed to be 64mm long since I can't find any manufacturer of a 35mm long version (not even on alibaba). What's more, the HF61969 I referenced in my original post specifies 50mm length on the same bearings, but I can't find them either. Looks like I will go with just one of the 64mm versions.

Also, went to local HD and picked up 4 "reducing washers" 1/2 in x 1 1/4in in the plumbing section to use as wipers. Slightly loose on the 30mm shaft, but expect some compression tightening when the end covers are screwed on.

Mike

Comment

Working...