• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Need more grip on jointer push pads

I was jointing a bunch of boards today and found my push pads were losing grip as the bottom of the board got smoother. My jointer has a bridge style guard so I can't use a push pad with the hook on the end like I have with porkchop style guards. My jointer bed is already grooved I'm assuming to cut down on friction. What next? Wax the table? I haven't done that because I'm concerned that would affect glueups or finish.

Any ideas?
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Wax it! Rub it off. I've never detected a problem with glue up or finish due to wax contamination from equipment. My contamination comes from glue squeezeouts, drips and fingerprints, and I handle that by staining before glueups.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

That remind me that I need to rewax mine. I also have noted that if you have issues like this it can hint that your jointer knives need sharpening. I know we all hate changing them as the setup is such a pain but the sharper they are the less resistance you will have pushing a workpiece through.

BTW on the same topic has anybody found a good way to freshen up the bottom of jointer push pads when they start to get smooth. I have sanded them before with rough paper but does anybody have a bteer idea?
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I do have some Boeshield. I'll try that first. Otherwise, Johnsons paste wax?

I really hope these aren't dull. I have a helical head with carbide cutters and it's less than a year old. I can't say I've done that much jointing/planing in that year.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

My "shop" is my garage which does have cars parked in it much of the time (and the resultant dragging in of snow and salt) thus my jointer table likes to surface rust. Every so often I hit it with steel wool, and wax it with paste wax. I've never detected any finishing blemishes due to this., and it really helps the smoothness of it.

I also tend to use my two Grrripper push blocks rather than the normal push blocks it came with... they have a much better grip and I also feel safer using them as my hands are that much further from the cutterhead.

Comment

Working...