• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Originally posted by havighurst
    No success. I was not able to successfully compress the spring and install the old snap ring by myself. The reeves drive pulley cracked as I was trying to push the spring onto the arbor. FYI: the arbor size may have changed as the ring that I ordered was much bigger. It was the correct part number. I guess I will be looking for a new lathe.
    I'm sorry to hear about the pulley, but this makes me wonder if this pulley was already in failure mode, and the reason your pulleys weren't closing before had something to do with impending failure. That's another thing Dave (dbhost) mentioned - some of the older versions of this lathe seemed to have a bad batch of pulleys (and the reason I ordered spares, but haven't had to use them yet.)

I can't imagine there were any design changes in this lathe, although its not impossible. I just wonder if you were sent the C clip from the spindle shaft and not the motor arbor shaft. As far as the pulley cost, I think they were in the ~$20 range, it might be something to see if you can fix even if you decide to buy a second lathe. I've found out lathes are like Pringles - hard to have just one.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Originally posted by havighurst
      Does anyone have any thoughts about the 12" Turncrafter Commander VS vs. Nova Comet II?
      PM sent, including thoughts on the Rikon 70-220VSR.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Relative
        Established Member
        • Mar 2007
        • Garden Grove, CA
        • Ridgid R4512

This might have been pointed out elsewhere, but you can order replacement parts from the Jet JAWL-1236 lathe parts list for this lathe. The illustrations in the pdf for the Jet and the HF are identical. Possibly more reliable to get the parts from Jet.

Mike
        Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

Working...