• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • havighurst
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • Metamora, MI, USA.

HF 34706 Lathe Help!!!

I finally had time to turn today. I haven't used my lathe in some time. When I fired it up, I wouldn't go up to the top speeds. I changed the belt and realized that the "pulley" attached to the motor would not close completely. Then the spring that was there to apply tension, popped off. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

\"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Assuming you are still using the stock belt size, sounds like there was something stuck in the pulley, maybe sawdust impacted? I haven't had the pulleys off mine yet but can take a look later. I believe Dave (dbhost) had done this.
    Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 11-07-2016, 11:24 AM. Reason: Google voice recognition failures
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
      Established Member
      • Jun 2004
      • Metamora, MI, USA.

There was no sawdust. It would do down to the slow speeds, just not the fast speeds. Is spring fatigue possible? There was a little corrosion on the spring. Of course I wouldn't know where to get a new one and how to wind and compress it.
      \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Your lathe will run at top speed when the motor pulley can fully close and the spindle pulley fully open. For the lathe to run at the lowest speed the motor pulley needs to fully open and the spindle pulley fully close. If you couldn't reach top speeds then the motor pulley couldn't fully close which means something likely was interfering with the pulleys ways or channels which might have been corrosion or some other factor. It's hard to say if the spring was fatigued and it's not clear why the spring became dislodged as there should be something on the motor shaft that retains the spring behind the pulley. If you still have the manual, you should be able to identify the parts on the drawing of the motor shaft and pulleys including the spring and whatever retains the spring, and call the Harbor Freight order number and order those parts from them. I've ordered spare pulleys successfully, but haven't tried to order the spring or the retainer.
        Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 11-06-2016, 10:03 PM.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
          Established Member
          • Jun 2004
          • Metamora, MI, USA.

Thanks Bill, I will try to order the parts from HF. Hopefully, they won't be too expensive.

Comment

• havighurst
            Established Member
            • Jun 2004
            • Metamora, MI, USA.

I ordered the parts today. They were inexpensive. Not the challenge will be if I can properly install them.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Glad to hear you could order those parts. Since I haven't ordered those yet myself, do you mind sharing the HF price on those? Also, my guess is it will be easiest to install those with the belt off, so the pulley can fully close. I don't think I asked earlier - but did the motor pulley fully close with the belt off? If not - did you ever see what was preventing them from fully closing?
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
                Established Member
                • Jun 2004
                • Metamora, MI, USA.

It did not fully close. I vacuumed everything out, but I didn't really take everything apart as I wasn't sure if I could get parts. The C ring and sleeve were $2.99 each and the spring was $5.99. What would you recommend to use to lubricate everything?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Thanks for the pricing - I will have to get a spare set to plan ahead.

I had some powdered graphite lubricant in a tube I'd used for years, don't recall the brand, but out of it now, so may try this spray graphite product from HD: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-5...8-GS/202597501

I think any non-silicone dry lube would probably be the best choice. I think Tri-Flow (the Teflon aerosol one) has been mentioned before, and others here will have good lube recommendations.
                  Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2004
                    • Metamora, MI, USA.

Thanks Bill, I will pick some up tonight.

Comment

• havighurst
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2004
                      • Metamora, MI, USA.

No success. I was not able to successfully compress the spring and install the old snap ring by myself. The reeves drive pulley cracked as I was trying to push the spring onto the arbor. FYI: the arbor size may have changed as the ring that I ordered was much bigger. It was the correct part number. I guess I will be looking for a new lathe.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Havighurst, did you order the parts in person from HF or online?
                        Since you now have a broken piece I would recommend carrying the broken part and the other wrong size parts to a HF parts dept. and let them "touch" them and maybe you can get the proper parts. Maybe they can figure out the parts you need, maybe. Ordering parts online can always turn into a crap shoot because it relies on the customer selecting the proper parts and doesn't consider that the parts have could have changed on its end.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                          Havighurst, did you order the parts in person from HF or online?
                          Since you now have a broken piece I would recommend carrying the broken part and the other wrong size parts to a HF parts dept. and let them "touch" them and maybe you can get the proper parts. Maybe they can figure out the parts you need, maybe. Ordering parts online can always turn into a crap shoot because it relies on the customer selecting the proper parts and doesn't consider that the parts have could have changed on its end.
                          Do you know something that I don't? I never heard of a "parts department" at a HF store. HF Parts have always been an online thing for me. But I have only ordered parts for two machines over the years.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• havighurst
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2004
                            • Metamora, MI, USA.

I ordered them over the phone. I had the manual and gave them the number listed and they gave me the part number and transferred to the order department. The part number was correct as was the description on the label. I suspect that there were changes made in the design over the years. Now that the pulley broke, it just seems like I will be chasing parts and spending more money to get this to work. I just might cut my losses and try to pick up a new lathe.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the 12" Turncrafter Commander VS vs. Nova Comet II?
                            Last edited by havighurst; 11-10-2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

Leehljp, maybe I miss-assumed, The HF's that I occasion (similar to frequent but not nearly as often) have a PARTS DEPARTMENT sign over a stockroom style door in the rear of each store. Never having used it maybe I mistook this for an actual parts department? If you are correct, I stand corrected, and Havighurst, good luck to you!

Comment

Working...