• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looking for small Dust Collector

I have a small one tool dust collector (about 400CFM "rating) from HF This one
    . But I got it back when it was less than $100 minus the 20%. They are now $150 when not on sale.

I have my lathe and scroll saw in an air conditioned / heated room and Need a DC in there also. My other tools BS, TS, DP are in an unheated/unaircondtion section. I was thinking about another 400CFM "rating" for my AC/heated room, but I was shocked at the increase in price.

Just to check things out, I went to ebay and found this one for $115.00 shipped. It is a Central Machinery the same as HF, but for half the price. It is new and they have others in stock. It is cheaper than HFs small one.

Harbor Freights, like this one, is $229 and has the 1550 cfm "rating".

Any opinions on ordering the EBAY version? this one
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Hank, the 1550CFM Central machinery version is the one several of us have, and would be a good, economical choice, as long as you quickly upgrade to either a <= 1-micron bag or Wynn filter - the stock bag lets the fines through. If the eBay deal is real, wow, but seller has only 14 reviews, you may want to look into that some more. If the HF sale price of $229 lasts until the weekend, they have a Labor Day (Sept. 5 only) coupon for 25% off, which would bring this down to ~$172. I can upload one if you don't have it.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I have the little Grizzly wall hanger and like it a lot for what it is. Hangs out of the way and pretty easy to empty the bag. That is it does a good job on the cnc router catching plastic parts.
      It does okay on saw dust too, but not great. I have a NIB HF 2 HP model here now and will eventually move this little one over on our miter saw that only cuts aluminum. I will make it two stage then so that we can recycle the chips. It makes a lot of them.
      To the question, I would say it would be better to get the HF model if you have the room. Much better support. What they are selling on ebay is likely a very old version of the same collector. The motors are everything on these machines.
      Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Another line of thought. I accepted the fact that I would never keep all of the dust out of the air, and my air conditioner would probably pull a lot of it in and clog up its coils. I fabricated a filter holder that fastens on the intake of the air conditioner and use a 18"x24" pleated filter. Now that my precious AC is protected I can focus on cleaning up the air.
        capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the inputs. I will take these into consideration over the next few days, as I decide which way I want to go.

BILL: Could you send me the 25% Labor Day coupon? I might use it. I am a HF member but I didn't get a 25% coupon yet. (could have overlooked it in the emails.) THANKS!
          Last edited by leehljp; 08-31-2016, 10:53 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Hank, I will scan and send tonight. It wasn't emailed, it was being handed out at the store when I went recently.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I received it in a catalog yesterday as well.
              Lee

Comment

Working...