• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayMurphy
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2016
    • Decatur Al.

GMC router table

Hello folks, I just dug my GMC router table out of the corner of my workshop where it has sat since I bought it about 12 or 13 years ago. I decided to get serious about making cabinet doors correctly. Now I've learned the one real drawback of the table is that it won't take large bits. My online search turned up you guys because you discussed them back in 2004 when Lowe's was clearing them out. I was wondering if someone worked out a fix for this and if so is there a link? Thanks.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looked up some old links on that and walked down memory lane - I saw names of people I haven't heard from in ages. I can't pull up a picture to know what it looks like, or the problem. Would you mind describing it? Is it a metal top with a small hole for 1/4 inch size bits? Reading your post, I get that impression.

And . . . Welcome!

I was in Japan for a long time. I remember several home centers having Australian tools and an orange metal table that could convert from a TS to Router table and some other things. I thought it was nice but I remember as I studied it, there were limitations on it, in addition to it being too expensive (that is Japan). Was it the orange metal table, or something else?
    Last edited by leehljp; 08-15-2016, 10:43 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

I don't know about GMC table, but the old thread here says that table originally came with underpowered (7 Amps) motor. If you are using that router - it most likely can't spin large bits anyway. People did say they were able to mount different routers into that table though.
      I have a Craftsman mid-size router table. My table has aluminum top and a bit opening 2-3/4" diameter. It means my table can't take bits larger than that. In order to make cabinet doors you need 3 bits: rail & stile (usually 2 bit set) and panel raising bit. Large horizontal panel raising bits are over 3" diameter, so my table can't take those. However, you can easily find medium panel raising bits ( they are about 2.5" diameter) and you can find vertical panel raising bits. To make panels with vertical bits you have to have/make tall fence.
      On the completely different topic - I am in the process of setting up kitchen in a new apartment. we just bought, so I just looked at popular cabinet styles. Cabinets with raised panel doors seem to be out of style now. Popular types are either completely flat doors with high gloss finish or shaker stile cabinets. Have you considered shaker cabinets? They don't need raised panel bits at all?
      Alex V

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Jay, I had the same issue with the BT3 extension router table when I started building frame&panel blanket chests. My solution was to build this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Router Table.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	827071

Link to project: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...+table+project

Of course, you could skip buying the router plate, and just mount the router to the tabletop and make sure you leave a hole big enough for your bit of choice.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Bill, this photo must have been taken before you cleaned up the shop for your video?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by capncarl
            Bill, this photo must have been taken before you cleaned up the shop for your video?
            Before I got a dust collection system set up!
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              Dust, I see no dust, I think Bill you must be from Harry Potter land and have a spell that magics it away as soon as it comes off the wood. I think you may be our new Rod Kirby.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Originally posted by poolhound

Dust, I see no dust, I think Bill you must be from Harry Potter land and have a spell that magics it away as soon as it comes off the wood. I think you may be our new Rod Kirby.
                That, sir, is by far too high a praise, and not to be an aspiration of mere mortals. I will content myself to someday be a be but a mere shadow of legendary Rod Kirby!
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...