• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Which Nailer?

Okay, I've decided to buy a framing nailer... a pretty cheap framing nailer, like from Harbor Freight. The question is whether that's a good choice or not. I want a full-head framing nailer and that leaves only one choice, the 21° nailer, which is about $80 or so (and I have a 20% off coupon).

I have several small framing projects over the next year and I'm thinking that a framing nailer will be a lot handier than my hammer and unaccustomed arm... I haven't done this kind of work in over a decade now. But of course, I don't want to make any wrong decisions here either, as a framing nailer and nails is going to cost a lot more than the old way with a few pounds of individual nails. (I can't believe that collated nail strips cost so much and that both my local box stores want to sell me no less than a 2,000 in a box... hey, I'm not a contractor who can use that many nails.)

So looking today, I see most of what Lowes sells is 28° nailers,, While I was looking at the Ridgid nailer at HD (it's a 21°), I just can't justify $230 for a 'little use' tool like that. The HF 21° nailer is their only 'full-head' nailer, the other two being 'clipped-head' nailers.

So, no prior experience here at all with framing nailers and I need some input to affirm my decision... or am I being sort of dumb about this?

Help!

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Clip head nails don't meet all building codes, but for most residential uses they are fine. Ive had a Porter Cable clip head nailer 15+ years without any problems. It's heavy and after 15-20 nails it will rub a blister the size of a quarter on my hand between the thumb and index finger. Nasty place for a blister. I can't remember the angle of nail clips but do remember that Lowes & HD don't all the angle nail clips. I'd be wary of machines that I could not easily buy nails for. You will be suprised how fast a 2000 box goes.
    I see piles of nail guns in pawn shops I frequent. An Internet search recommends staying away from used nailer as the owners will clean up and oil their wore out nailers and sell them. That said, I would not buy a pawn shop gun without a really good inspection.
    cat

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Thanks Carl,
      ​​​
      I really never shop for used or 'reconditioned' tools. About the only used tool I've purchased in recent years was a couple of 40's era Stanley planes.

If I don't read any "you're nuts" or other negatives I'll probably buy the HF full-head nailer Sunday (later today) as I just realized, earlier this evening, that my 20% coupons are only good for this weekend. If that decision proves wrong I guess I have a short amount of time to return it; but I generally don't like to do that.

In any case, a nailer seems to be in the very near future.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

I've had the HF 21 degree framing nailer for several years and it's always worked great for me. I can buy the collated mails in smaller quantities here though. The nailer is not light so prolonged sessions of holding it up can be a workout.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

My brothers and I just finished a master bedroom addition for my parents over the Fall/Winter. None of us had any experience with framing nailers and this was a "one use" type of situation. We went with the HF 21 degree and it worked very well. Never really got jammed and only had the occasional misfire. We got our money's worth and then some out of it. I will hopefully use it soon to build a new shed. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
          Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Bill in Buena Park and Joey Gee,

Thanks to you both. Your advice falls right in with the reviews that I've read on the HF web site so I guess this will be a 'Go' for me. I noticed earlier this morning that there is a "Super Coupon" for this nailer for $59.99.... that's pretty hard to pass up.

Regarding the weight, it's about two pounds heavier than the Ridgid, which is the lightest nailer I've seen. In the long haul that would make a difference, but my 'projects' at the moment are pretty small. I'm reinforcing and expanding the loft areas on my Gambrel-roofed shed (the new 12 x 20 shed), opening up the garage wall for passage from the shed and building a small office area in that corner of the garage area. Next will be adding a 6-ft loft across the back of the garage for expanded storage. So this nailer should be okay for those rather small framing tasks.

Thanks to everyone for their advice,

CWS

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The reviews on the HF air nail guns are good. If anything good comes from the counterfeit Chinese tool industry maybe the fact that they selected the best tools to counterfeit from. In a country with such a large population that probably needs tools for themselves maybe this is the case because if they copied a piece of crap for a air nailer it would turn out a real piece of crap.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Well I picked up the nailer earlier today. $123.82 out the door, including 2,000 16 d and 2,500 8 d nails. Not a bad deal if this gun proves to be anywhere close to the reviews. Probably have enough nails to last the rest of my life unless I take on something really big, which I doubt will ever happen. However, there's always neighbor or other family members who might possibly benefit.

Now I can get the new changes made to the lofts and fix a couple of flaws I've found in the shed.

Thanks for the prompt responses as they were very helpful,

CWS

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I would take some scrap and try it out with the 16d nails soon. HF is good to take things back here but I don't know for how long. I think HF nailers are great buys but I have one stapler that will not drive the 1.5 inch staples it is supposed to be able to handle. I suspect it is just the luck of the draw but if I'd checked it out quicker, I could have taken it back and swapped for one that works better.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

JimD,

Excellent advice and I will do so in the morning (I hate possibly disturbing the neighbors on a Sunday). I understand, as I too have occasionally bought things only to find out a few weeks after the purchase that it doesn't perform as it should have.

The rating on this particular nailer says 2-3/8 to 3-1/4 inch nails... but they don't sell 3-1/4, only the 3-1/2. Only thing I know from time past is that a 16d (penny) nail is 3-1/2 inches long and a 3-1/4 length is a 12d, and that the specs for a lot of framing is 16d. A few of the reviewers said they used the 3-1/2 without problems. Hopefully that 1/4 inch difference in drive depth shouldn't be a problem with proper pressure adjustment.

Thanks,

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-17-2016, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...