• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Freud blades vs Freud Diablo blade differences

What is the difference between Freud saw blades versus Freud DIABLO saw blades? (I need to replace a 12" miter saw blade.)

I have noticed that in general, Diablo blades are a bit less expensive when compared side by side. I never have found a definitive difference and appreciate your insights.

I destroyed a tape measure and 2 teeth on a 96 tooth TK MS Freud Melamine blade, plus two or three chipped teeth. I have been contemplating a new blade or getting this one fixed. ON the Forrest site, they do replace chipped teeth, but the cost for sharpening and tooth replacement would be getting more than 50% towards a new blade - if they would do this to a Freud blade.
    I measured a board, moved the tape measure back but didn't take into account how far out toward me the saw blade comes. The blade hit the steel hook. Ruined a very good rule too.
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-09-2016, 08:47 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

No expert here, but I've been under the opinion that the difference is simply that it is less expensive by design. Perhaps it's the overall design, material / machining / inspection requirement for the quality change. But, I really don't know. I did do a Google search and found the following Freud "quote" from a 2003 post made on the Saw Mill Creek forum by a Mr. Howard Acheson (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...any-difference See post #3 )

All Freud blades come from the same machines in the same manufacturing plant. We make our own micrograin carbide in numerous formulations that represent various degrees of hardness. The carbide is selected depending on the intended application (the hardest is used for laminates the softest for ripping) as are the tooth angles and tooth quantity. The steel for the blade plates is all the same grade. The brazing is all the same. The key differences between the 3 main lines of Freud blades are:

The LU/LM Industrial blades have the thickest tips for the most resharpenings and are generally full kerf. We also offer the most selection of specialty blades in this line. These have the most appeal to professionals who need to get a lot of sharpenings out of a blade and to artisans who need specialty blades for their projects.

The TK and Diablo lines are very similar. Both are thin kerf blades and the tip thickness is the same. The key difference is in the way we market these blades. The Diablo line has blades intended for purposes like framing, siding, decking and general home improvement and is packaged and promoted in ways that appeal to contractors and DIYers. The TK line has blades for similar purposes (as well as laminate blades) but is sold with different or no coating and different packaging and POP material to appeal more to woodworkers.

Do professional woodworkers shop for blades at Home Depot? Probably some do and they can get excellent performance from a Diablo blade for a lot of their uses but with a shorter overall life (and lower cost) due to the tip thickness. Same with the TK blades at Lowe's.

Why not compare a TK or Diablo blade to Forrest? Consider this analogy: Toyota cars and Lexus cars share a lot of the same components and are made by the same company. Would you compare a Camry with a BMW?

We make a fourth line of blades (F400 Premier series) that is very similar to the WWII and is priced similarly. The difference between ours and Forrest's is that ours is made by computer controlled, super modern equipment and theirs is made by hand. Both methods have advantages and disadvantages but I leave the final verdict to the consumer.

Charles M
    Freud, Inc.

CLOSE QOUTE

Generally I do not use really expensive blades as they seem a bit more than my talents and projects would ever require. (Not to mention that they simply are too much for my budget.) I also view them from the point that an accident, such that you experienced, would be unnervingly costly. Right now, I have Ridgid, 50-tooth 10" blades on my BT, RAS, and CMS... where they have worked very well in both ripping and crosscut applications. Pretty smooth in all operations. Unforntunately, they haven't been available in a couple of years, at least. My understanding it that they were re-branded Freud blades, or so that's what the HD guys told me.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-09-2016, 10:12 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Thanks. This is basically what I was looking for.

As I understand this, Freud has thicker carbide for 1. more sharpenings and 2. for "woodworkers" who do professional woodworking.

Diablo is for 1. general woodworking and thereby 2. less expensive for the careless woodwoker like I was/am sometimes . Somewhat easier on the budget in replacing!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Charlie R
        Charlie R commented
        Editing a comment
        Good time to thank the Lord if you are on good terms with him. A carbide tooth came off a friends table saw and went through his basement wall. He was grateful it didn't go through him.
        The rest of us are grateful for your many informative posts. Thanks for sharing.
    • vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

In my opinion - major difference is full kerf vs thin kerf. The blade you had was a TK line, it is a thin kerf blade. Diablo is thin kerf too, so basically same type blade. The only possible difference is coating. LU blades are full kerf. Full kerf blades cut wider path, require more power from the saw. Some saws are better with thin kerf, for instance on BT3 saws thin kerf is recommended. I know you are looking for a 12" blade for CMS. I also use 96 tooth 12" blade on my CMS, but mine is Ridgid titanium coated thin kerf. I am not sure of advantages of melamine blade on CMS.
      Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        melamine blade probably of no use on a CMS

• vaking
        vaking commented
        Editing a comment
        The original blade that started this thread was TK MS Melamine blade. I think this alphabet soup means thin kerf miter saw blade. If Freud makes specialized melamine blades for miter saw - there must some use.
    • tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I've been very happy with the Diablo I put in my BT3100 last year. Cuts like butter, I often don't even bother jointing the cut as unless I screw up and get a bit of wobble in the cut, it's glass smooth.

Comment

Working...