• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

Router preferences

I'm looking into getting a router set sometime in the not terribly distant future. I just wanted to know if any of you had any real preferences, or have a heads up on what brands to avoid.

Thanks in advance.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

"Router SET". Do you mean router, or router bits? I am assuming that you mean a plunge base and a regular based as a set

PC, Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita. You name it.

A dual based plunge and standard base is very handy to start with. Some people never use a plunge, so for them that would be overkill and waste of funds.

I got started with Porter Cable way back when and never did purchase a plunge base. I do have a plunge base on a Makita and rarely use the plunge feature. Some people do use the plunge feature, and if you are into signs, then it might be for you.

What I like is speed control and soft start. I have 2 Porter Cable base 690s. They are good general run of the mill workhorse routers and I have 4 bases. I use 3 bases mounted on jigs so that I don't have to mount a router each time I need a specific jig.

I have 1 PC router with soft start and speed control. I rarely use the speed control but it is handy when having grain problems. The soft start is helpful if you are used to turning it on while holding the router in your hand, especially if using a moulding bit, which adds to the torque the router exhibits when starting.

One thing overlooked by first time purchases: Go with 1/2 inch routers. They will come with an adapter for 1/4 inch. If you become a regular user of a router, you will probably use 1/2 inch bits 2 to 1 over 1/4 inch bits.

What to avoid: Routers are one area that you want to stay away from mid / lower level routers. Some work fine, some don't. Some problems for a few people with Ryobi, Skil. Don't buy a mid level to get by and think you might move up later.

There is a lot that I have left out and I just hit the highlights.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• PartTimeHack
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2015
      • TN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks. Yes, I was talking about a router with a set of bases. I really appreciate the input. I haven't used them much in the past, but look forward to it. I have only a very old single speed B&D panel router I inherited about 15 yrs ago.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I have the Bosch 1617EVS package and like it so much that when it was the only tool destroyed in the floods last year I replaced it with another one.

That being said, the best way to find the right one for you is to get your hands on several brands, work the features and controls, then go with the one that feels right in your hands. The brands mentioned, as well as Hitachi, all make good routers. Most are variable speed and soft start, both essential features. The differences are in the power of the motor, shape of the handles, and location of the controls.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I also have a PC 690 and really like it. I do have the plunge base that I use for mortises and with a shelf pin jig. I have also heard nothing but good things about the Bosch 1617EVS that Pappy mentioned.
          Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

My first router was a 1970'ish Ryobi-made Craftsman. Nice features with it's micrometer-like adjustments and lighted base but its 1/4-inch collet is simply terrible. In 2004 I bought a few Ryobi tools, including their router-table combo. Again a 1/4-inch, but the ring-like depth adjustment is sort of sticky and the locking mechanism is a knuckle buster. About the same time, I got a 3-base Ryobi router set. That I really like, but darn if the motor housing presented some serious problems with it swelling in size to a point where it's very hard (almost impossible) to adjust. Though the other features were great, that base problem overshadows everything else. So, from my experiences I guess I would stay away from Ryobi routers... though I like most of their other tools.

My most used router is the Ridgid, which when it first came out was offered as a two-base set... plunge and fixed bases. Lighted base, dual collets (1/4 and 1/2 inch) and a number of other nice features. However, it has changed and the newer offerings are somewhat less. IMHO, the Ridgid product line offered great features and great promise for the future back in it's 2003 market introduction. Unfortunately that never seemed to really pan out and I think the brand has stagnated to a degree.

Basically, my approach to routers has been to get the most features for the cheapest price, although I have stayed away from cheap brands like Black and Decker and Skil. Admittedly this has been a wrong approach, based on my experience. My Ridgid is now permanently committed to my router table where it performs well and the Ryobi 3-base still has a perfectly operating plunge-base. But that leaves some neglected apparatus that I've paid for and am not using.

If I were to buy a router today it would definitely be a Porter-Cable. The models have become sort of the standard IMO. They seem to be a "choice" for many and I don't recall ever reading a bad review. They cost more than the brands that I've mentioned, but end the end I feel that a P-C would have been a better investment.

Features like a well-designed, self-releasing collet, soft-start, easy depth adjustment, and ergonomic handling are very important. Electronic speed control is perhaps slightly less so, depending on your needs (I like it though). I prefer seperate 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets, as opposed to using an adapter, but that's my personal preference. Plunge and fixed base are nice, but I don't find myself using the plunge base all that often. Still, it good to have that feature. Good, easy, depth adjustment is essential, but also it must be accurate and positively lockable as you don't want it to change in the middle of an operation. On a plunge-base, you want it to fit your hands very well... a problem with my Ridgid plunge base is that the locking lever is a very long reach for my hands. You don't want to be fumbling with the lock in the midst of a high-speed cut.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

My thoughts.
              I have multiple routers and sets, as I am sure others have. My first router was a Skil plunge router, that was 90% used for roundovers. (pretty much before woodworking, more construction stuff) My next one was the Porter Cable 693 set with router table that I picked up on closeout for $150. (all three bases) After having it a while I sold the Skil and realized that PC is pretty much considered the standard for accessories. (important point)
              I still have that router but not the table. I picked up a larger table top and plate setup, second hand, which in part has both effected my choices and been affected by my choices.

For table use, I would bypass the PC 690 series (1 3/4 hp) and go for one of the 2 1/4 hp kits. I bought the Bosch on both recommendations and price. Since that time I picked up another Bosch, branded Craftsman, from when they made that router in Red for Sears (no longer), as well as a 1618 D handle. Both were bought because of already having the accessories and prices. (sears oultet store and damaged freight, D handle, undamaged, at around $80)
              If I were to start again, there is little difference in my mind, between the Bosch and the Dewalt, but the Dewalt would have certain advantages at retail prices. (618 series) Both are soft start. The Dewalt uses the Porter Cable bushings (readily available), the Bosch doesn't. (quick finding of stock when needed) The Dewalt has the built in dust collection for overhead routing, the Bosch is more of an add on. With a multibase router, one tends to leave the fixed base in the table and use either the plunge or D handle base freehand. (not all kits come with a D handle base, and there are books that show you how to make similar things)

Are you planning on at some point, getting a big router for the table? (where bushings might come into having to only buy one set)
              My routers (a lot has been purchased on price):
              Bosch 1617evs (
              Craftsman branded Bosch 1617evs
              Bosch 1618 (non soft start model around $80)
              Porter Cable 690 series
              2 Milwaukee 5625 table routers (one bought for parts on Ebay, under $30, but just needed the reset proceedure)

If I were to recommend a plunge router only, it would be the Dewalt 621. For kits the Bosch 1618 series or the Dewalt 618 series are about equally recommended.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

I always like the Bosch routers. I had the 1617 evs set but the motor found a permanent home in the lift in my router table so I sold the plunge base. I got a heck of a deal on the Dewalt DW618B3 when they cleared them out of HD so that gets quite a bit of use although I dont much like the plunge base compared to the bosch. The D handle base comes in handy every once in a while. I also have the Bosch colt which is one of the best palm routers. Last year I lucked into a Bosch 1619EVS beefy plunge router and its really great.

As others have said you cant really go far wrong with PC, Bosch, Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita. see who has a a good deal and maybe some free accessories. if you need a tie break get the Bosch ;-)
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I, too, have the same Bosch router as Pappy. I almost exclusively use the plunge base for everything. I have a big Triton router for table use. I also have 2 of the inexpensive Grizzly trim routers. They come in handy for all sorts of small router tasks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a Bosch 1617evs for handheld and a Bosch 1617 single speed mounted in my table with a lift and with a speed control. I love those routers.
                    The deWalt 618 and the PC 89x series and the Hitachi KM12VC dual base kits are all quite good.
                    The PC69x series is dated in my opinion and while it was the best in its day its only reason for still being on the market is that people buy it because its on so many recommendation lists. But only the latest PC690 LR model has some updates (cam lever release and rocker switch) but it still changes depth by twisting the screw housing which twists up the power cord for any significant change - that's fixed in most other routers.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-03-2016, 05:58 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

I use my PC690 mostly and have 4 bases. My speed controlled one is not running at the moment but the older single speed works fine. I have the motor from a Ryobi 500 plunge router in my router table. It has a good 1/2 inch collet and draws a max of 13.3 amps - a little more than the 690. I also have a little Bosch colt.

When judging the power of a router looks at the amps. HP ratings are silly. The biggest draw 15 amps and are a bit much for hand held use. Mid sized are a little over 10 amps and a good place to start. Do not buy a router with a crummy collet. You want both 1/2 and 1/4 collets for an all around router. ergonomics make some difference too. The PC plunge base has the plunge lock in a convenient location - something to check.

Comment

• PartTimeHack
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2015
                        • TN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks all. I do really appreciate the responses. Sounds like there are a few good options.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by PartTimeHack
                          Thanks all. I do really appreciate the responses. Sounds like there are a few good options.
                          One important thing to avoid - old Ryobi routers, I think they were RE180 or RE150 or some such model. THey had serious problems with the router body swelling and not being able to be inserted and removed easily from some of the bases.
                          A lot of people got them because they were Ryobi and I think one of the bases may have fit the BT3x router mounting plate directly without mods.
                          Its not a current model, though.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • La Conner, WA.
                            • BT3000

I have that R-180 and had that "swelling" problem when I first started using it. I sprayed some miracle dry lube on it to make it move better, but it got completely stuck. It went from not adjusting easily to not moving no-way-no-how! I fought with it and fought with it to get it to let go, and I think maybe I dribbled some paint thinner into the adjuster and got it to let go enough to mess with it. Finally, I just gave it the Johnson's Paste wax treatment and never had another problem. I bought it new when it was new, so it's been a lot of years, now. Maybe it's time for it's second application of wax?

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

My R-500 is probably older than some of you guys and gals and the motor including collet works fine. It has a nice edge guide too but the base started sticking a little so I put the motor in the router table. It was also my biggest motor (most amp draw). One of the bad things about Ryobi is you can't generalize. Some Ryobi tools are excellent buys and worth having. Some are pretty much junk. It is a very good idea to look for reviews before buying Ryobi. But I am very happy with my 18V both shop and yard tools and my BT3100. And the R-500 is still giving me good service. But if I was buying a new router, it would probably be a PC (because I am used to the 690 and I think the 890 motor might fit in my bases) but might be a Bosch or possibly a DeWalt. There is a range of tools in those brands too but I don't think their low points are as low.

Comment

Working...