X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Really liking my new Hearing protection setup

I like to listen to the radio when I'm in the shop but when I put the earmuffs on the audio obviously gets muted. This is particularly irritating when I'm listening to a song I like or something on the sports / talk radio channels I'm interested in. I owned a pair of earmuffs with AM/FM built in before but I never really liked it because it was analog and you had to rotate the dial to find the station. Which meant taking them off, putting the dial close to the station, then putting the earmuffs back on and micro tuning the dial to get the exact station. Marc S (the woodwhisperer) did a review on saftey gear and in it he uses earmuffs with a headphone jack built in and plugs a bluetooth receiver. I pretty much used the same equipment but I found a receiver that was less expensive. Also he uses his phone as the only transmitter (which I do also) but I also like to listen to the radio and TV. So I also bought a BT transmitter that I hook up to either the radio or TV. This allows the audio from the device to transmit from both the speakers as well as the BT unit. Which is nice because I'll be listening to something with the earmuffs off and then when I put them on the audio continues seamlessly and vice versa when I take them off.

Headphones
    Receiver
    Transmitter

Last edited by jussi; 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Pretty cool Jussi. I probably have the same analogue radio headphones you mentioned. I vary music in the shop between radio and pandora depending on my mood and do have to switch to something else when I put on the headphones. I will have to check this solution out further.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Listening to the radio is the exact reason I got the transmitter (that and the TV). I can get some of the stations on iHeart but not all of them. I also bought a cheap soundbar during the black friday sales which has BT and I'm able to pipe the radio or iphone/ipad audio to it.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

My am/fm clock radio finally gave up. My hearing protectors also need replacing. Might have to look at this.....
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

Interesting, I may look into this also. Thanks for posting.
            Bill

Comment

• Buster17
              Handtools only
              • Feb 2016

Just these c at Lee Valley. .
              Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

Comment

• LPadilla34
                Handtools only
                • Aug 2019
                • Phoenix,AZ
                • DeWalt - haven't checked the model yet.

Here's what I just ordered.
                They are marketed to motorcyclists, industrial workers and gun enthusiasts and they look and feel like something that would last long when I saw the sample piece.
                Big Ear supplies custom earplugs according to the needs of an individual customer. We provide on-site custom hearing protection services.

Motorcycle Filtered Earplugs allow you to hear everything around you at all times perfectly to make all your safety decisions and legal in all 50 states. Our...

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My wife and I ride. She had the custom plugs made. Then made again. And a third time. They've always been somewhat problematic, and you outgrow them! I had no idea, but your ears keep changing your whole life. So every few years she'd find them not fitting. Meanwhile I bought a set of dual-speaker "S-Plugs" and have had them for over ten years with no issues. I got the short cord so they can connect to my helmet receiver, or to an extension for other uses. I connect them to my phone for shooting and woodworking, and run an app which puts the sound through from the microphone. So they work as "bionic hearing" as well as hearing protection. I sometimes use them while hunting also, because I can hear so much more.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

I wear 3M work tunes headset. The newer model that I have has a digital tuner with memory and audio commands that works great. It also has bluetooth built in so I can listen to podcasts or Pandora. I wear them even when I'm doing not loud yard work.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I am no doubt a bit odd... I don't listen or watch anything when I'm in the shop, or for that matter when I drive. In the shop my attention is fully on the task that I'm doing, especially when using any tool with a sharp blade, motorized or not. And, in the car, my attention is fully on the traffic, road, and sound of my vehicle's engine, tires, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love listening to the radio for music and news and not a day goes by that I don't have my earbuds holding my brain place; but, when working or driving I simply find it distracting, actually even when I'm sitting at the computer and trying to draw or write I find myself far less efficient doing that IF I'm also listening to the radio. The radio, although enjoyable, simply distracts me enough that I find myself working slower and making more mistakes.

Simple brain or perhaps age...

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I need to listen to something when driving or doing work, otherwise my attention will drift and I'll do something dangerous. Music is particularly focusing for motorcycle riding.

Comment

Working...