• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

New Shop on Order II

The Zoning appeal is approved and the permit granted, the lot is leveled, the trees are down and cut to firewood length, the 4-1/2 tons of gravel are now on the property and waiting for me to spread, and the weather forecast for the rest of this week is just about perfect!

But this morning I drove by the dealer and there on his lot was my new shed.... DAMAGED!

Apparently it made it's way up here from southern PA safely and just a mile west of the dealer, while attempting to go through an underpass on the back road, it hit the overhead bridge girder.

The end of the shed's roof was ripped open for about five feet. The ply on the roof is shredded right at the top, with shingles torn loose, some all the way back to the center of the twenty-foot length. The vent on that end is destroyed as is the gable end. The first roof truss is split at the center with the gusset destroyed and it appears that the force of the impact may have been such that even the vent on the opposite end is twisted out of position, though only to a small extent. The question is how much damage has been done to the remaining roof trusses during that impact. On the brief inspection this morning I couldn't tell if there's been much twist or skewing other than the opposite gable vent being slightly twisted from position.

The manager was very apologetic and said the driver should have known better. He said new materials are on order and a crew is coming up at the beginning of next week to do the repairs.

BUT, I'm not happy about this. I don't like to think that I'm being picky, but when I buy something new, that's what I want... not an item that has been damaged and somehow repaired. I've got to get myself back there on Friday (tomorrow is the LOML's birthday, so that's more important) and inspect the damage in more detail.

This morning's visit was sort of in a rush as I was on my way to an appointment, but the damage looked serious. As I stood inside, you could see light though the peak of the roof, as far back as five or six feet from the end. Likewise, there seemed to be light coming through at the very top of the front wall, as if the trusses had been lifted by the impact. The roof sheathing is damaged at the peak, to the point that it is gashed open and shredded in that area. I'd hate to think they're just going to patch it and repair with new shingles.

The dealer said that if I'm not happy, he'll re-order the shed for me, but his expression left me to think he was somewhat reluctant to do that, but would if I pressed the issue. (Makes me wonder what would have happened if I hadn't drove by this morning and just waited for his call next week.) I'm going to look at it further on Friday, but at this point I think I'm going to press the issue for a new order. That will of course put the building delivery somewhere in mid to late January.

What do you guys think? (I'm going to try to get some pictures of the damage on Friday, and if I can do that I'll post them.)

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

Wow! You have my kind of luck! I would reorder. Once delivered it will be your problem. The only way I would accept it would be with a long complete guarantee with internal damages covered, and a significant discount. Good luck!
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Tell him to send it back and get a new shed. If there is a question from him about the repairs ask him if he ordered a new car and it was damaged when it came off the truck to the dealer would he accept a patched up car. You paid good money for good merchandise, get good merchandise. Don't let your wish to get it in and operational sway your feelings. If you accept it you will second guess it forever, every time it creaked, door stuck. Now you have the time to get the floor insulated like it should be, not a glorified vapor barrier! The builder should do this for you.
      capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

What Carl says with knobs on!!!

If it was a small amount of basically cosmetic or trim damage I might be OK with a repair and a discount but given what you have described NO WAY Jose! I would be telling him to order a new one, get it expedited and be asking for a discount for your trouble, stress and impact on your schedule.

When you go back for your second look and give the dealer the news he needs to get you a new one take a sharpie with you and when you are out of his eye line doing your inspection make a mark somewhere innocuous that you can remember, maybe in one of an inside corner or edge of a window trim. This way when they return with your "new" shed it should NOT have your mark on it and you can check that it is in fact new and they haven't just patched it up and sent you the same one back anyway.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by poolhound
          When you go back for your second look and give the dealer the news he needs to get you a new one take a sharpie with you and when you are out of his eye line doing your inspection make a mark somewhere innocuous that you can remember, maybe in one of an inside corner or edge of a window trim. This way when they return with your "new" shed it should NOT have your mark on it and you can check that it is in fact new and they haven't just patched it up and sent you the same one back anyway.
          Also take a picture of the mark, preferably that also shows some of the damage. That way there is no doubt it was done in the original building.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The dealer must have some skin in this game, like he tried to save a buck and used his own driver and truck or something or he would have refused delivery and sent it right back himself and not have to beg worried about the repairs or later warranty work.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to see the local manager tomorrow (Friday 12/11/15), and at this point I don't expect there to be any hassle. I've also checked with a few friends here and everyone is in agreement about having a new shed ordered and expedited if at all possible.

Carl,

I don't know if I would call this place a dealer or simply the northern branch office for the sales department. On the web site there is only two locations, here in Vestal and the main manufacturing facility in New Holland, PA. The place here consists of a large lot, office, and a few example buildings. One places their order here and in four to five weeks the building is built and shipped up here from the assembly plant. The sales, build, transport, and even final installation are all company employees, no sub-contract people that I can see.

They're quite reputable and I don't imagine there should be a problem. I asked simply because there are times when I can be difficult and I was concerned that I might be unreasonable in my thinking. I'm glad that I'm not in this particular case.

I'll post tomorrow evening and let everyone know how I made out.

BTW, the warranty on these buildings are stated as "Satisfaction Guaranteed Lifetime Limited Warranty" against structural design failure "covering all defective materials and parts from the very base of the floor to the last shingle on the roof"

Shingles are covered by the original manufacturer for 25 years. Floor, roof, and wall sheathing 5-year, 100% material and labor and replacement feature, and a 50-year warranty on materials. Hardware, which includes windows, hinges, latches, etc. are lifetime warranted.

Acts of God, of course are not covered. Neither is abuse of poor maintenance. Installation must be inspected for proper foundation... in my case a 4" crushed stone bed over firm ground.

CWS

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                If there is a question from him about the repairs ask him if he ordered a new car and it was damaged when it came off the truck to the dealer would he accept a patched up car.
                FWIW, most people do, because the damage is repaired before they ever see the car. Something like half of all new cars are damaged in shipping or in being moved around the lot, but it is typically minor body damage.

With regard to the shed, if it is repaired properly it doesn't really seem to make any difference. I understand the sentiment, just don't see how it really applies to a shed.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

The difference to me is the items that I purchase with my money is something that I still have control over. If I buy an appliance and they roll out one in a box that has been crushed or damaged I don't even want to look in the box, bring out one that is in good shape. I don't have the time to fix their problems. As far as autos damaged by the dealer and repaired without the customer knowing it, if you traded in a car that had been damaged and they found out about it they would probably cover it up and sell it to the first unsuspecting customer without saying a work. Kinda tells you their integrity. Just like used car dealers selling flood cars that have been cleaned up.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

capncarl,

I totally agree. When you go out and lay down your hard earned money to buy something, anything, new... that is exactly what you should receive; Not something used, abused, or repaired. If I wanted to buy something repaired, then that is what I would be looking for; a bargain of sorts. Something damaged/repaired/factory refinished, if you would, should sell for significantly less. Some people look for those kind of deals, as they generally don't mind. The blemish to them has less value than the cost savings.

That's okay and I understand that, but when I buy something new I do expect it to be unblemished and not something that required repair before it was delivered.

CWS

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by woodturner
                      With regard to the shed, if it is repaired properly it doesn't really seem to make any difference. I understand the sentiment, just don't see how it really applies to a shed.

In the case of this shed, I'd have to think in terms of structural integrity. The speed limit on that road is 30 mph, but since there are no houses in that particular area, the average speed is closer to 40-45. It's a back road running parallel to two major thoroughfares.

But if the building struck the bridge at even 25 or 30 mph, the shock of hitting an immovable object would have been through the entire building. Where it struck was the very top of the gambrel roof, shredding the sheathing at the peak back several feet and loosing some shingles as far back as the middle of the 20 ft length. The end gable was damaged, roof trim destroyed, and the truss peak gusset sheared with the first few trusses tipped back and appearing to be lifted from the front wall. The racking force of the impact was such that even the vent on the opposite end was twisted.

So, what we have is the question of how good will the inspection and repair be 'in the field' under current climate conditions (it's already rained pretty hard here one day this week), as compared to the factory build. Wall sheathing on that end gable will have to be removed and replaced, as will at least one or two trusses, the roof sheathing on that end, the trim, vents, and all the damaged shingles and possible twisting of the metal ties holding the trusses to the walls. Then it will all have to be re-caulked and painted. What I don't know at this point are the integrity of the loft structure or possible movement of the wall elements, entry door or windows possibly skewed, etc.

Personally if I was the manager, I would not have accepted delivery of the shed onto the lot and would have had the truck return the damaged unit to the factory on his return trip. They would have been able to refurbish the shed there with better efficiency, and at much less expense I would think, than sending materials and a crew up here from the factory to do the repairs in an open field in even moderate winter weather. But then again, I don't know the restraints that the local dealer may be burdened with.

In any case, I've got a meeting with the manager this afternoon and will be requesting his re-order of the specified building.

CWS
                      Last edited by cwsmith; 12-11-2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

CWS, your driver just struck the bridge, this driver HIT the bridge. I'm surprised that the shed was not snatched off the truck with the amount of damage you described.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	787510

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

capncarl,

Well the shed is now on re-order. The guy was very nice about it all and called the factory directly while I was there. The fellow he had called was out of the office, but the manager doesn't see any problem and will let me know on Monday. He thinks he can turn it around it three weeks or so, even with the holidays, as the factory slows up a bit in the winter. Hopefully it can be delivered in the first week of the new year.

While I was there, another truck pulled in with two sheds on it. I was impressed by how they haul these things. The sheds are put on the flatbed, wedged, and they have what looks almost like a steel net that goes over the top of each end of the shed and is chained down on each side of the trailer. (Obviously these things aren't going to leave the flatbed easily.)

When I worked at the Rand, I'd often see what the crews would go through when loading several tons of compressor or process engine on a trailer, lowboy, or flatcar. We'd ship stuff out of that plant to all over the world, and the way it was chained and bolted down, it wasn't ever going to leave the transport vehicle. These sheds seem to be packaged for transport with the same care.

CWS
                          Last edited by cwsmith; 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Sorry that I haven't posted these earlier, but with the holidays and other happenings, the schedule just gets filled up with other priorities. Here's a couple of pictures of the damage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0438.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	787551Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3958.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	787552Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3959.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	787553Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3960.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	787554Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0434.jpg
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	787555Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3962.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	787556

The fifth picture was taken through a window, so it's difficult to see the damage across the top of the roof, but that extends back about four or five feet. Also near the other end of the shed, there was evidence of the impact which caused some of the shingles to pucker up.

But, at this point it is all history. This particular shed now sits in the same position in the lot, repaired! Nice that the repairs are done, but they are evident with fresh, unpainted nail heads showing and shingles that, because of the cold weather, are prominently sticking up like little wings, instead of bending over and properly adhered to the bends of the gamble roof. Hopefully that shed will offer a bargain to some customer who is looking to save a few $$.

My new shed has arrived and is not sitting in our yard, waiting for me to get at the enhancements that I wish to do. I'll post those pictures in the next few days under a new subject heading.

BTW, I apologize for my laziness. Many of the forum members provided great ideas and opinions and I very much want to thank all of you for those.

CWS

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

Interesting pictures and looking forward to the new shed you will actually use. When you say it is in the yard does that mean it is not in it's permanent home yet?

I hated the year or so I was without a shop. Mine is not fixed up like I want it to be yet but is a lot better than nothing.

Comment

Working...