• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Fixing a PC Brad Nailer BN125A

So my brad nailer's exhaust deflector broke. (PC BN125A)

Looking for a replacement, I find (using this diagram) that it comes as a unit with the housing cap. Conveniently, somebody else had the same problem, and the question was asked and answered here - namely, I need to replace the whole thing.

My follow up question is, what is exactly the 'gasket' they recommend also replacing? Is this the gasket-head (#110), or the O-ring (#109)? (I am referring to the diagram in the same pdf).

And of course, there's another O-ring, #107. Replace both?

Interesting that with just these minor parts, my cost to repair is close to $40, while the same nailer, new, is barely $70 on Amazon!
    (I bought it as a kit with another 16g nailer and the PC compressor for $125, but that's entirely irrelevant now).
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I don't have this nailer, but by the parts illustration I'd say that if you are going to replace the broken assembly (103), then you should also replace the gasket (110) which is there to seal that end piece (103) to the main body of the nailer. The O-rings (109 and 107) are there to seal the internal moving parts (what appears to me as a piston-like part).

Without actually seeing the parts first hand, the gasket (110) is the only part that you should have to worry about when removing and replacing that end cap w/ vent (assembly 103) as the other parts are internal and part of the venting and piston movement. I'm not sure if removing any of those other parts is even necessary, as the end cap assembly looks like it just will come off without anything else popping out. If the movement does come out however, and you notice that any of the O-rings or other parts are pitted, nicked, or in any way worn or damaged, now is the time to order replacements for them.

Doing parts illustrations was a very large part of my early illustration career, though I never did any work for Porter-Cable.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks CWS. Does look likely I'll be replacing that gasket head, and maybe the O-rings too.

I have been rethinking this whole idea now, and pondering if I might be better off buying this 18g nailer from HF. Listed at $20, will be $16 with coupon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	787488
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Not sure about those new models, but my old purple HF brad nailer has been churning along just fine for the last, what has it been 5 or 6 years now with no problems aside from occasionally not firing. (Idiot forgets to make sure there are brads in the gun!)

Only HF Pnuematic tool I was less than impressed with is my orange finish nailer. It has been terribly jam prone...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...