• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Table saw or track saw for newbie?

My Dad is in the market for a table saw. He's finishing off a bonus room at their house and needed to cut some trim around the window to width. He didn't have measurements for me so I couldn't help him out but I did lend him my Dewalt track saw. My Dad is completely comfortable with circular saws and jigsaws but I don't think he's ever used a TS. I would really like to show him proper use and safety (not that my Dad is unsafe) but our physical distance makes that difficult.

He's actually going up to his cabin in Muncy this week so he could pick up the Grizzly track saw. I don't think Grizzly sells a jobsite saw.

I know he's not going to want to spend a lot of money on this (I may buy him a TS), but I can't decide what's right for him. I'm thoroughly convinced *I* could never make due with just a track saw, but I'm thinking he might. Since he also has some projects at the cabin, the track saw wins for portability. It also wins for storage. He doesn't want to lose floorspace in his garage to a TS--even if it's a benchtop one. If he's working on stuff upstairs, it's much easier to have the track saw handy compared to running outside and making the cut and coming back.

His primary hobby is golf and I don't see Dad going into woodworking. He fixes stuff around the house or makes general purpose items but nothing I would classify as furniture.

Hopefully he has time to use my track saw before he goes to Muncy because that impression is going to make or break it for him.

What do you think? For the occasional use, which would you choose for a newbie?
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

My 2 cents worth exactly what you paid for it ...

IF ... your dad is doing "handyman" types of things that typically involve sheet goods and construction lumber (2x4, 2x6 maybe even a 4x4 at times) I would vote for a track saw and if it fits the budget a compound miter saw. I realize that's 2 tools but for what I think a serviceable contractor's tablesaw would cost you would be able to get the Griz Tracksaw and an entry level miter saw ... those two will handle virtually any handyman sawing task and both are reasonably portable.

IF ... you can't cover having both, then for sure the Track Saw ...

Opinion off ...
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

IF, as you said, NOT furniture, a track saw could do well. But furniture type of objects, a table saw is hands down better.

In another direction: lots of plywood and straight boards - a track saw would do well, and then assisted by circular saw and jig saw.

Molding, frames, furniture, hutches, boxes, toys, designs: table saw.

IMHO.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

He has a CMS, drills, router, jig saw, and circular saw. Well, I'll encourage him to get crackin' with my track saw before he goes up to Muncy then! It's not like he's got to go to work or anything, and it's too wet to play golf!

Edit. Bummer. The Muncy showroom seems to be out of stock of their track saws and tracks (or their not showing it online anymore)!
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 10-04-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Another option that gets good reviews... EZSMART-Track-Saw-System http://m.woodcraft.com/Product/42094...GgwaAq628P8HAQ I have no personal experience with it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

The Muncy showroom seems to be out of stock of their track saws and tracks (or their not showing it online anymore)!
            When I got mine, they told me the same thing at the Springfield MO store. And they had one on display. Not only did they have a sign for the whole kit, but they had a sign for the saw by itself and for the individual tracks by themselves plus the accessory kit. I looked at the catalog and figured it was only $5.00 more buying it piece-meal. So I asked the salesman if they had the saw in stock. He said yes. I asked, well, do you have the tracks in stock?. He looked and said yes. And the accessory kit was available too.

Later, when I was paying for it at the counter, the lady said that the salesmen didn't know how to look up the price as a whole kit. To them, it would show out of stock when in fact it was in stock.

<p>This track saw redefines the circular saw, making traditional circular saws obsolete! Its plunge-cutting action eliminates flip-up blade guards and its riving knife reduces the risk of pinching and kickback for a new revolution in safety. And, although this saw cuts like any other circular saw, the 55" Guide Rail is indispensable for making straight cuts when cutting wide panels. No more unsafe, over-extended reaching, and poor balance while cutting wide panels on a table saw! Once you use this Track Saw, you'll never go back to your old circular saw!<UL> <LI>Suitable for a variety of materials like solid wood worktops, double-coated MDF boards, etc.<LI>Infinitely variable cutting depth up to 2-5/32"<LI>Rail system for accurate and inclusive splinter-free cuts<LI>Non-slip backing on the underside of the rail for secure grip on the workpiece<LI>Sliding surfaces on the guide rail ensure smooth machine operation<LI>Built-in riving knife for anti-kickback protection<LI>Anti-tilt bar provides a secure grip on the guide rail for miter cutting</UL><B>Features:</B><UL><LI>Includes saw blade<LI>Continuous cutting depth limiter<LI>Anti-kickback protection<LI>Dust port for shop vacuum</ul> <P><B>Specifications:</B> <UL> <LI>Motor: 120V, 9A, 1.1 kW<LI>Motor speed: 5500 RPM<LI>Blade rim speed: 9,070 ft per minute<LI>Max cutting depth at 90&deg;: without rail 2-5/32", with rail 1-31/32"<LI>Max cutting depth at 45&deg;: without rail 1-5/8", with rail 1-7/16"<LI>Saw blade: 160mm x 20mm x 48 tooth<LI>Distance between saw blade and wall: 5/8"<LI>Dust port diameter: 1-1/2"<LI>Combined approximate shipping weight: 20 lbs.</ul><p>Master Pack Includes: T10687 Track Saw, T24872 55" Guide Rail and T25094 Accessory Pack.</p>

Oops, just looked and said Washington or Missouri pickup.
            Last edited by leehljp; 10-04-2015, 11:11 PM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looks like if you buy the saw and track separately, you'll save $15 over buying the kit since the saw itself is on sale. Grizzly is also offering $25 off shipping for new email subscribers. Not sure if that's just for equipment or if stuff like this counts, too.

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

I think track saw is the "fad" right now. Everyone just have to have one. It has its place and I think that is for ripping long, wide board. If his general purpose fixes around the house does not typically involve that, then I don't think having a track saw would help much.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

Based upon the facts that your father has a CMS and doesn't have space for a table saw plus his lack of desire to make furniture, I think a track saw fits well. It is also safer than a table saw. As for the view that it is just for sheet goods or long rips, that comes from not using one. Once I got mine, I began finding ways to use it. Foolproof cutting is a little additive. It will work for relatively small pieces of wood. I like having both (actually now I have two table saws) so I can use each for what they are best at.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Maybe it's just me, but isn't a track saw sort of overkill for the fairly simple task of ripping sheet stock? Surely a great tool if you're in the carpentry business, but for a weekend warrior or even hobbyist facing the occasional ripping of a sheet of ply or OSB, doesn't a regular circular saw and a 'factory edged' piece of stock work for far less investment?

I've never used a track saw, and admit that they certainly look efficient, I just could never justify the cost, even though it's minor when compared to most table saws. Of course I don't recommend a table saw for a full sheet of ply, especially if you're working alone. But a decent straight edge and a circular saw have served most of us for decades.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

When it comes to getting the job done, a circular saw and a good straight edge will do almost as well as a track saw. What you gain with a track saw is better dust collection, plunge ability, safety of a riving knife, and no tearout through a combination of the track and splinter guard on the saw itself.

I worked for years with a Milwaukee saw and a 9' straghtedge clamp. I switched to a track saw when I got serious about dust collection.
                      Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                        Maybe it's just me, but isn't a track saw sort of overkill for the fairly simple task of ripping sheet stock? Surely a great tool if you're in the carpentry business, but for a weekend warrior or even hobbyist facing the occasional ripping of a sheet of ply or OSB, doesn't a regular circular saw and a 'factory edged' piece of stock work for far less investment?

I've never used a track saw, and admit that they certainly look efficient, I just could never justify the cost, even though it's minor when compared to most table saws. Of course I don't recommend a table saw for a full sheet of ply, especially if you're working alone. But a decent straight edge and a circular saw have served most of us for decades.

CWS
                        CWS,

In some cases it is overkill, but it depends on the need and want of the user. I have a couple of saw boards for short work. However, I had some great difficulty in finding and even making a 6ft or 8ft "saw board" that was accurate. I despise my circular saw cuts following a line for a finished cut. 1/8 to 1/16 inch deviation means that I have to cut it again, or rip it again. And I have to make allowances for the additional cut. A track saw lets me do long cuts/rips as fine as I do short cuts with a "saw board".

Another advantage to the track saw is that it is on a track and not subject to the cut "distortions" of handgrip and changing positions while walking the saw to the end of an 8ft cut.

Yes, people do use the term "cutting down" sheets of ply, but being able to cut it down so that the cut edge can be used without re-cutting on a TS - saves a lot of waste and re-figuring.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Thanks to you both,

Guess I need to give it a more thorough exam. I hadn't looked at it from a dust-collection point of view, nor from a waste perspective either.

I'm pretty thorough when it comes to laying out the few plywood cuts that I've been faced with; using the computer to figure every possible angle to minimize the waste.... but I must admit there's too often the imperfect kerf and the allowances made so that I can re-cut the smaller piece on my BT.

Thanks again for the experienced answer, it's much appreciated,

CWS
                          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

Another factor I've experienced but not thought about recently was mentioned in the FWW track saw review. Shoot boards depend on the edge of the baseplate of the circular saw being parallel to the blade. They often are not. Adjustments are difficult. Track saw blades are parallel to the groove that follows the track. (FWW looked at the Festool, Metabo (?), DeWalt, Makita, Grizzly and one more. They made the Festool the top tool and the Makita the best buy. The reviewer was a Festool user - a carpenter. It's a decent article but not a real in depth review.)

Comment

• vaking
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by cwsmith
                              Thanks to you both,

Guess I need to give it a more thorough exam. I hadn't looked at it from a dust-collection point of view, nor from a waste perspective either.

I'm pretty thorough when it comes to laying out the few plywood cuts that I've been faced with; using the computer to figure every possible angle to minimize the waste.... but I must admit there's too often the imperfect kerf and the allowances made so that I can re-cut the smaller piece on my BT.

Thanks again for the experienced answer, it's much appreciated,

CWS
                              I also don't have a track saw and I understand the argument that without using it I don't know what I am missing but so far I have been doing fine with circular saw and a straight edge. The straight edge I have is a good quality (like this http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-E...0_SR160%2C160_), attached to the a piece of hardboard trimmed with my circular saw gives me easy alignment and good quality cut. I also installed Bosch dust collector attachment which allows me collect dust like with track saw(http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CSDCHUTE...r+circular+saw). Attachment is officially for Bosch saws but I made it work with my Skill. For construction work around a cabin this should be more than enough. I believe dad does not need table saw at all. For sheet goods table saw is not much help and for cross-cut/muter-cut/window trim - CMS is a better tool anyway.
                              Alex V

Comment

Working...