X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris64
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2008

Miter Saw Lack of Power

Hello All. I thought I would turn to the forum for input on this one - I have a 12" Milwaukee miter saw, probably 6 yrs old, just used around the house on odds and ends projects. The other day it was struggling to cut through a 2x4 (pine). It felt like it was operating at about 1/3 power. I took the cover off the motor, it was pretty clean inside - not caked with sawdust etc. No belts, just a motor that turns the blade. I hear a lot of replacing brushes on electric motors but have never done anything like this. I pulled the brushes and they looked ok - they were carbon. Any ideas on troubleshooting this problem? I figure i could get replacement brushes and it would be pretty cheap, if it didn't fix it it wouldnt be that big of a loss. I also saw there is a Milwaukee service center here in Houston - I guess I could take it there but they will probably charge me an arm and a leg.
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Does the blade turn freely by hand could be bearing is gummed up or has gone bad. Try the brushes then take it in. Could be a start up capacitor or something similar.

Tom

Comment

• thiggy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Alabama.
      • Craftsman Contractor

If the saw has brushes, it is a universal motor and does not have a start capacitor. Check the bearings and other drive components, then replace brushes. Just remembered - about a year ago my Dewalt chop saw started acting like it had no power to make a cut. I thought it was a goner until I realized the arbor nut had loosened. That was an easy fix.
      Last edited by thiggy; 10-02-2015, 08:36 PM. Reason: Addl. thought
      SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

CHeck the arbor nut. (which will likely be a Left-hand thread).

Also make sure the blade is on the right direction... yeah, I know.

And finally check to make sure the blade is sharp... when was the last time it was sharpened?....
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-05-2015, 10:58 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chris64
          Forum Newbie
          • Jun 2008

Thanks for the replies. So I pulled it apart this weekend and pulled the brushes all the way out then put them back in. I definitely banged them up pretty good putting them back in, but when I buttoned it all together, I had full power back. So problem solved - for now haha.

Comment

Working...