• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Ridgid warranty/registration

I recently purchased a ridgid spindle sander that I wanted but didn't necessarily need. I decided to register the product to get the LSA. The registration process seemed easy enough, create an account, select the tool, enter in the receipt info. Well I did that and a few days later I got an email stating there was some issue with the registration process. I'm not sure what could have gone wrong so I just decided to search the web to see how common the issue was and what the general feedback was on ridgids warranty. The results were not good and customer service complaints were numerous.

So my question is; what are your personal experiences with ridgid and their LSA? A waste of time? Worth it but a hassle? Or should I return the tool since it's not a must have?

I don't like being dicked around by companies (who does) and have no problem voting with my feet, I just want to know if it's worth my time.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by ivwshane
    I recently purchased a ridgid spindle sander that I wanted but didn't necessarily need. I decided to register the product to get the LSA. The registration process seemed easy enough, create an account, select the tool, enter in the receipt info. Well I did that and a few days later I got an email stating there was some issue with the registration process.
    That's curious, I've never had an issue. Fill out the form online, mail in the UPCs, get a confirmation email a couple of weeks later. Service is also quite easy, take the offending item to HD, swap it for a new one.

I think the complaints are mostly from people who don't want to register or did not register. People don't seem to like that it is a service plan rather than a warranty. They don't "follow the rules" and then complain that Ridgid applies the rules. It's sort of like a rebate - if you follow the rules, you get it, if you don't, you won't.

In your case, they probably could not reconcile the receipt number to the store records, maybe a typo in the receipt number? Or it wants you to send the UPCs and you didn't? Some people have said they registered and did not have to send UPCs, but I have always had to send in the UPCs after registering online.

Personally, I think it is a great deal, the free batteries alone for cordless tools make it worthwhile.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

One should note a warranty is different then the Lifetime service agreement. For example, Craftsman tools have a warranty. A warranty covers defects in materials an workmanship, it doesn't cover abuse, modification, rust, etc. Tools that get swapped (right or wrong), for example I was shopping at Sears when someone came in with a wheelbarrow full of rusty tools, they had bought from a swap meet, technically/legally get turned in under the satisfaction guarantee part, rather then the warranty. (guess what part they don't have up in the store anymore)
      I have a couple of Ridgid tools and have the LSA on them. I have never had to use the LSA, but I do have one issue with it, personally, and that is you get the LSA on the battery(ies), that come with the tool, and in my case that was one battery with the 14.4 impact driver I bought, LONG ago. Can't get the LSA on batteries that you add over time.

I would agree that it sounds like your missing the UPC and without sending it return receipt requested, you have no evidence that it didn't get lost in the mail (so sad, no LSA for you).
      I am more apt to look at the location tools (drill press, jointer, etc), then their portable tools, because of what I have read and trying to get extra batteries and finding out no LSA option.
      Does the tool do what you want it to do?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I understand your problem with Ridgid LSA Warranty. We have gone around and around on this site with this subject before. Some are delighted with the tools and its warranty, others debate the legal terms, and then there is the other 90% of the population that can't seem to get the warranty registration process to work.

I have probably spent more time researching this LSA warranty and all of its shortcomings than I have spent using the tools. A synopsis of this research is that it seems that Ridgid has probably spent more money on the legal department and this LSA that it has spent on making a good tool that doesn't rely on a lifetime warranty to sell it! There are a lot of problems with Ridgid tools and their batteries that should have been worked out before it was released for sale.

Congratulations if you can make the LSA warranty work for you because you paid for it in the retail price. On the other hand HD has replaced most Ridgid tools that I have returned to the store with no questions asked.
        capncarl

Comment

• greencat
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Grand Haven Mi

I just went through with ridgid for my planner. I purchased it online and they had problems with the paperwork. They said they couldn't find the purchase.

I took pictures of everything and sent it registered mail. I checked last week and they gave me LSA status. They didn't send me a letter or email to notify me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
          Thanks again,
          Mike

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Even here there seems to be some confusion on the Ridgid LLSA issue.

So, let me give you my experience, both personal with more than a dozen tool purchases, from the many complaints I've read from many years on the Ridgid forum, and from my own personal contacts with Ridgid.

First, let me explain the procedural requirements: When you buy a tool, you absolutely MUST register it PROPERLY. Those requirement since its enception in 2003 have been that you clip (not copy) the original UPC code from the product carton, and then send it to the noted Ridgid Customer Service address. You must include a copy (not the original) of the sales receipt and include the product name, all the product numbers (tools, batteries, accessory items (if identified with separate product/serial numbers like in a "Combo" purchase), your date of purchase and your name and address information, as well as your "dashboard" ID number which you received shortly after doing the online registration. ALL OF THIS HAS TO BE MAILED to Ridgid Customer Service.

For me (and I highly recommend it to everyone), I clip the UPC and tape it to a letter that I type up. In the letter, I use a basic form which include the tool information, date of purchase, my name, address, phone number, Ridgid Dashboard ID, and my e-mail address, AND the date of the letter/mailing. Below that I type the product name, serial number, accessory component ID's and serial numbers, etc. I then scan and copy the receipt into the letter/form I use and I keep a copy of all of this on file, including the date.

Because there are at least hundreds of other who are filing for the LLSA that week or month, I also have learned to follow up by checking the website at least every couple of weeks. The whole process should take six to eight weeks and if nothing is noted by then I call to find out what the status is.

Now, I haven't purchased anything in a couple of years now; but between 2003 and 2012 I've made a number of purchases, done the LLSA filing as I describe and I've yet to loose a single registration!

It is important to understand that the LLSA is completely different and separate from the 3-year Warranty and 90-day Satisfaction Guarantees. Absolutely nothing is required of those, beyond being able to present your sales receipt. The LLSA must be properly registered and you must be in their system with your tools identified as being "LSA Eligible".

Now to the problems: Many people make claim that they registered... but the question is "Really?" Most think that doing the online entry is all that is necessary: IT ISN't! (But I've read more than a few post that boast, "Well that's all I did and I'm covered.) Maybe, but most likely NOT.

I think "Jumping through hoops" is often the disguntled response by many who have a problem with the LLSA. Personally, I hate paperwork, but the LLSA is a major benefit. Going through the process as I decribe probably doesn't take me a half-hour.

Really BIG PROBLEM for Ridgid, is Hope Depot itself. While some stores will gladly give you a replacement tool... that is actually a problem. If you registered the original, the HD orange apron doesn't care or is ignorant of that fact. His kind "replacement" is there to keep you coming back; but if you then try to get service on that replacement tool, you have absolutely nothing because the serial numbers won't match and from Ridgid's point of view you could have just picked that up from anywhere. If such a "replacement" does take place by a HD 'orange apron', you really should get a new receipt and then register that new tool into the LLSA.

What about "replacement" batteries? The original battery that came with your tool (if cordless) is covered under the LLSA. Additional batteries that you purchased or were given to you by HD are NOT. Very few Home Depot stores (that I know of) are "Authorized" Ridgid Service Centers, so be careful.

When you do receive a replacement battery under the LLSA, the first thing you should do is call Ridgid Customer Service and have them enter those new serial numbers as replacements for the original batteries. They will do so gladly and then those new batteries a covered under the original LLSA plan. But to repeat, batteries you purchase separately are NOT, and they are not even eligible for the LLSA (which I think is sort of lame, but it is what it is).

I've had only two tools serviced under the LLSA to date and both went off without a hitch, without even being questioned. I simply present the tool with its problem and give the service guy that tool's LLSA registration ID. He in turn confirms that via the Ridgid Service network and everything is covered.

So, bottom line is you must MAIL in your registration and include the ORIGINAL UPC from the package, send a copy of the receipt, and provide all the proper identification and ownership information. BTW... if you have several purchases on that receipt, make sure you mark the particular tool purchase with an arrow! DON'T SEND IN YOUR ORIGINAL RECEIPT... you need to keep that yourself. ALSO, it's a really great idea (read that as 'ESSENTIAL') to make a good copy of the original receipt for you own files. I say that strongly as every single receipt that I've ever received from Home Depot has faded away to nothing... usually within two to three years.

SO, that's the procedure... do the mailing and then follow-up if you don't see the dashboard posting within two or three months. I've never had to do that because my tools have always found their way through the process, but you never know.

After your initial purchase/dashboard registration you may receive a plastic ID card for your own (not the tools) registration into the LLSA system. But, I don't know for a fact that they still do that. Other than that initial mailing, I've never received any other confirmation of any tool. IT just eventually shows up on your Ridgid "dashboard". The tool's warranty information will change from 3-year to "LSA". No other notification happens that I know of or have exsperienced.

Well, sorry for the length of this. But this is the procedure that works for me and my experience thus far has been very good with no questions and no losses. A few years ago they changed their on-line system and I noted that several of my tools seemed to be inaccurately identified. Concerned of course, I called Ridgid Customer Service and with just a few minutes time I had everything straightened out. Andrea (the person I talked to at the time) was very nice, knowledgeable, and she sent me a complete listing of all my tools in the mail. Not only did that include "Ridgid", but also "Ryobi" purchase registrations.

I hope this helps,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

See what I am talking about with the lawyer thing? I would not be suprised if HD replacing the tools without any questions and totally messing up the customers chance of ever getting any warranty is part of their plan! IMO For battery powered tools and high priced equipment the LSA is important, for other Ridgid tools just let HD replace them.
              capncarl

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

Thanks for the replies guys!

I guess my main issue is that because the LSA registration failed (they now have an online process), if I were to send in the required info, would it go through before my 90 days is up? I do not want this tool without the LSA.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I'd say yes it would go through in time. The few times my registration worked it was really quick.
                  capncarl

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by capncarl
                    See what I am talking about with the lawyer thing? I would not be suprised if HD replacing the tools without any questions and totally messing up the customers chance of ever getting any warranty is part of their plan! IMO For battery powered tools and high priced equipment the LSA is important, for other Ridgid tools just let HD replace them.
                    capncarl
                    Carl,

Your opinion of "just let HD replace them" may well work for you on the first replacement, but what happens afterwards? Do you have a particular guy you go to and he'll always just give you a replacement???? Not so sure that would work for the rest of us. Certainly neither of the two stores that I frequent would do that as regular practice. (Though I have seen a tool every now and then that is marked "reconditioned"... which they are obviously not with all dirt and filth that they are still covered in.) Actually, such replacement is against store policy, except on rare "manager approval". (So I've been told anyway.) Under the LLSA, they don't replace your tool, they repair it... the only exception is for batteries. When a tool can no longer be repaired, I presume they'll offer a replacement with something... but that in only an assumption on my part and I've seen an example of that with an RAS (see below).

One of the problems I've always had with Home Depot is their lack of knowledge about their tools, especially their exclusive Ridgid brand. But overall, I think their people are just poorly trained or ill-informed.

I've been told that Home Depot OWNS Ridgid..."that's why they are both orange!" I've been told that Home Depot will ALWAYS replace tools, absolutely free, "just bring em in". Of course that "guarantee" wasn't in writing and when I questioned that with Atlanta HQ, they were astounded that any of their employees would possibly tell anyone such a lie.

I've been told that they will always handle service... and I know that happens on certain occasions, but when I had a need with two of my Ridgid tools, they didn't have a clue and when the service center was queried, they told me that I needed to work directly with them.... which worked out very well.

Some HD's offer tool rentals. Neither of my two stores do. Also, there are some Ridgid tools that can't be serviced as parts are no longer available. One particular was a RAS that was purchased in 2004 which was returned to the store where they returned it to the customer. The burned out motor was no longer available and the service center refused to even look at it. I don't know how the customer felt about that or whether he even got satisfaction in any other way. (Hey, at the time I was keeping pretty close tabs on such things... but not any more, as I just find Home Depot practices just a bit disconcerting.)

I am not aware that registration is just done online anymore. I dropped out of their forum about a year ago, so I'll have to look into that.

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 07-18-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

When I check online for Ridgid service centers in my area there are 2 within 100 miles, I think they are 90 and 86 miles one way. That would be 360 and 344 miles for me to take the tools and go pick them up. They are both listed as what sounds like a lawn mower dealer so they offer no other draw to visit while I am there, nor does their communities. That amount of my time, gasoline and wear and tear on my car is not worth taking to a service center. I'd be better off throwing the tool away and purchasing a new one. That may also be part of the plan, like credit card companies locating their mailing centers physically as far away from the customer as possible in order to create some late fees!
                      My 3rd 6" ROS has started making the same "IM FIXIN TO BLOW UP" noises as the others, I think that I'll carry it back to HD and see if they replace it, while this thread is still active! I kept the box in a nice and clean spot in my shop, just in case!
                      capncarl

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I know exactly what you mean, as I've had the same problem with service. My initial experience with an authorized service center was very good with a needed request to fix a Ryobi router combo I had. I was in Painted Post, NY and the nearest service center was in Syracuse. No way I'd drive to that, and that's why we have services like UPS. I sent them the tool (under warranty) and I had it back in a week for a fraction of what it would have cost me for gas.

But a year later, that service center was no longer doing business with Ryobi and Ridgid... they had trouble being paid! The new service center for my area was up near Albany, NY and a call to them never was answered. So I fixed the router myself.

When I had trouble with my two Ridgid tools, I was shockingly surprised that it was just five miles south of me in Painted Post. How weird I thought that was as Painted Post is by no means a population center. But I called the guy and then drove down this back river road to find him.... I passed his place three times before I finally noticed it. His business place was nothing more than a tiny little motor repair place. When I say "tiny" that is exactly what it was. It sat up on the bank above the two-lane country road and wasn't much bigger than my lawn shed. A little wood-framed buiding with a counter and a space heater. I asked how he got to be a Ridgid Service Center and he said Ridgid (actually TTI) had called him.

He had trouble getting the parts, but three weeks later his wife delivered the repaired tools right to my door! While I was very happy with the service, a year later he was no longer doing business with Ridgid. A quick check now shows the nearest center down in Scranton, PA and the nearest NY site is northeast of Syracuse at a lawn repair place. It would appear that TTI has some difficulty with independent service centers and as you say, they seem to be in out-of-the way places. I'm under the impression that Ridgid is not timely in payment and nobody wants to work for them on long-term credit.

So while I still think the LSA is a good idea, I'm of the opinion that Ridgid has never really taken it all that seriously. I like Ridgid and Ryobi tools, but I've come to find that Harbour Freight, with it's much cheaper products, has a tremendous advantage when it comes to customer service.

The bottom line on the Ryobi BT-series is that it's advantaged by this forum and its many enthusiastic and knowledgeable members.

CWS
                        Last edited by cwsmith; 07-19-2015, 03:36 PM. Reason: clarification and typing errors

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I forgot to mention, I just looked up the registration for the Ridgid LLSA and it reads to me like nothing really has changed. While you can and must fill out the initial registration online, you are supposed to print out that registration information and then mail it in with the UPC and a copy of your receipt. The online registration simply gives you a 'formed' information list, much like I used to do for myself.

Here is the statement from the website:

Then mail the online confirmation print out or the hand written letter with your original receipt (making a photo-copy of your receipt to keep for your records is recommended) and the original UPC from the qualifying products package to: RIDGIDŽ Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service, PO Box 1427, Anderson, SC 29622 for processing and approval.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem,

CWS
                          Last edited by cwsmith; 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

At just returned from HD. I carried my last Ridgid 6" ROS sander back. And I do mean my last one! Since it was a store swap out there was no store recept and not eligible for the LSA. HD had swaped it out previously anyway. They young man at the return counter was at a loss of what to do and shuffled through some papers and found their Ridgid return for repair forms. Is seems that for $18.95 they take care of the shipping and handling to send Ridgid tools to the repair shop and call you when it returns. No registration for LSA was required, they can look at the item and tell it is Ridgid therefore it must be eligible for the warranty. Makes sense to me. That beats wasting 2 days and a tank of gas for a reconditioned tool I could have bought last week at the tool outlet store for $39. Now let's see if it really happens!
                            This really does show that purchasing a premium tool is actually cheaper that messing around with store brands!
                            capncarl

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                              I am not aware that registration is just done online anymore. I dropped out of their forum about a year ago, so I'll have to look into that.
                              My last Ridgid purchase was within the last year, and the registration was online - but mailing in the UPCs was still required. It was more of a pre-registration.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...