• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Small victory

My little HF DP of 16 years (like this one, just older) had that slow start, buzzy motor thing happen, and I knew the capacitor was shot. First tool I've lost a capacitor on, likely through decreased use since I got my Ryobi 12in DP, so I did my Youtube homework, learned it was a "motor run" (vs. "motor start") capacitor, and decided to replace it. I intend to donate it, along with an extra, small Ryobi band saw, to a youth camp this summer for their use in Pinewood Derby stuff.

Opened the cover on the back, found it was a 16uf capacitor, and my web search returned a lot of items on eBay from China. I am leery of using eBay for purchasing from overseas... so I checked out the Amazon options. Hard to find one that fit in the original cover, but I did (this one), and it just barely fits - but it fits Ordered Friday - and arrived on Sunday! Wasn't able to fit the original crimp-on wire nuts, so I soldered the leads and covered with heat-shrink tube. Fired right up, strong as ever.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Awesome to hear you were able to salvage it. So many folks would have simply pitched it over such a simple repair! With any luck, the youth camp can use your donation well!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...