A different way to make drawers and boxes ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

A different way to make drawers and boxes ...

One of my non-woodworker friends sent me the link to this video ... it's really pretty cool! I suspect the cost of the specialized blade would be prohibitive for the hobbiest but a production shop could probably use it,,,

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I would love to have a blade like that! And I have 2 BT3x00s and could easitly dedicate one to it. My mind is already enjoying the possibilities!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I thought it was really neat, especially his second method as most of us use different thickness bottoms. I passed it along to a local tool company. I hope they watch the link, he certainly deserves the exposure for his initiative!
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        I would love to have a blade like that!
        Years ago, Sears sold a molding cutter for the table saw, a disc with flat inserted cutters. They may still sell it, I'll have to check. They sold a glue joint cutter set for it that was like this, the only difference was that two passes were required (one for the dado, one for the joint). That might be the problem with his approach, too - many saws do not have an arbor long enough or the power to drive both blades at once. If your saw does, you could stack the Sears molding cutter and dado head and do the same thing in one pass.

Anyway, if you really want one, you may still be able to buy it from Sears or can find one at a flea market or yard sale.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

That a nice box! I hope this young man is able to captialize on his tool.
          Woodturner you are correct, Sears sold them, I believe they were targeted for radial arm saws though. I have a couple of sets that I picked up at estate sales and were somewhere around 5"-6" diameter but none that I've seen were carbide. If you could obtain the proper shape cutters it should work...... Unless the smaller diameter tool surface speed might be too slow for this application? I've been wondering what I could do with these old tools!
          capncarl

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
            Woodturner you are correct, Sears sold them, I believe they were targeted for radial arm saws though. I have a couple of sets that I picked up at estate sales and were somewhere around 5"-6" diameter but none that I've seen were carbide.
            At the time I got mine (1983 or so) they were showing them for both radial arm saws and table saws. There were two types, the single blade and the three blade. Both had high speed steel blades, and I don't recall seeing them in carbide as you note. However, the steel blades allowed you to sharpen them as well as make your own profiles. The single blade version was easier if you were making your own profile, since you only had to make one blade instead of having to get three blades shaped to match.

As you note, shaper cutters are also available to cut this profile, or you could make a steel shaper cutter to cut it. Bob Rosendahl used a router to make this kind of joint and it was described in his Router books in the 1980's. W&H and Woodmaster also had molding cutters for the their planer-molders in that era that made this kind of profile.

It will be interesting to see if he can get a patent - it seems like there is enough prior art that this would be difficult. As a practical matter, though, if you need to make this joint there are several commercially available options that are not overly expensive.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I don't think that this profile that he is using is that unique. The small cigar box size cedar chests that everyone has somewhere in their house uses a joint very similar to his. What is unique is that he is making it out of one sheet of wood with no visible cut. I don't know how much luck he will have patening that.
              I can't imagine the pucker factor that would be generated by operating a radial arm saw with a 3 bladed 6" moulding blade set.
              capncarl

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

That was a major issues with those type molding heads. You could not use a blade guard with it unless it was an overarm type. They were not particularly well balanced. They vibrated a lot. Unsafe at any speed.
                I remember using one once on a saw when in shop class. That was the very last time I tried anything like that.
                They have molding machines. That is how those profiles need to be cut.
                Lee

Comment

Working...