Chance to buy a new craftsman (bt3000 clone)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cchaffin
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2015

Chance to buy a new craftsman (bt3000 clone)

I know guy who has one in box never opened
    what would be a good price?
    They are kind of hard to find now right? especially brand-new in box?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

there were several Sears Craftsman clones. Two of the popular ones were the 22811 and the 21829 models, the 22811 (silver and black) was pretty much like a BT3000 but the much later 21829 (red and black trim) had a number of improvements including a popup wheeled base.

Do you know which it was?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cchaffin
      Handtools only
      • Mar 2015

it is model #21829

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Cchaffin
        it is model #21829
        FWIW, Sears closed them out a little more than a year ago for $199.99, with some stores offering additional discounts. This purchase qualified one for the Tool of the Month club, so another $120 in tool credits at Sears, which could be interpreted as a net cost of $80 or so (that's how I looked at it).

There are still a few around in Sears stores and outlet centers, so they do show up in the $50 to $100 range at times, NIB.

The portability and improvements of the 21829 are beneficial, in my experience and opinion. I own a couple of 3100s and a couple of 21829s, and prefer the 21829s.

Regardless of what else is available, pricing is really a question of what you can get a buyer to pay. It is sort of a niche market now, and many people don't really know the benefits of these saws or understand why they are "better" than newer products. Local sales and rates vary as well. If you pushed me to put a number on it, around here I would say $50 to $70 would be a good price, and is the normal selling range for BT3Xs regardless of model or age, provided they are in good working order and complete. FWIW, there have been a couple of NIB BT3100s listed locally for months at $100, which suggests that price is too high since they are not selling.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by I saw that!
          I see all these wonderful prices mentioned on the forum, but have never seen such low prices in my neck of the woods. Could it be these saws are more popular (highly valued) down south?
          Used sales certainly will vary with location - maybe we are just "cheap" in this area

The Sears clearance prices were nation wide, though.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cchaffin
            Handtools only
            • Mar 2015

This guy wants $350 for a new one in box plus he is 55 miles away from me. Probably going to pass thanks for the input

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Cchaffin
              This guy wants $350 for a new one in box plus he is 55 miles away from me. Probably going to pass thanks for the input
              I love the saw but I would pass at that price point. Second owner has no warranty support except for factory recall items such as sticking on/off switches.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...