• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Mobile base question

I'm going to put my midi-lathe on a mobile base. I have two Portamate PM1000 bases I've been trying to sell on CL so I might as well use them since I have no takers. Anyway, the max length for one base is something like 45" but the lathe stand is 53" long. I am thinking of substituting the metal rail on the long side with a piece of 1x wood.

Do you think that that matters? Seems to me the vast majority of the load is happening at each of the 4 wheels, not along the rails.

Thanks
    Paul
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Had to go to HD for other stuff this morning so just got some flat bar stock. With the wood rails I'd have to buy nuts/bolts and with flat bar, I can use the existing ones. Maybe a little more $ in the end, but lower profile.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Paul,
      I will be putting my 34706 lathe (180 lbs) on a HF mobile base which only uses wood to connect the corners. I have all my heavy tools on these bases and have had no issues. The corners bear the load. I think you should be ok.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

an angle iron would be a lot stiffer in both directions than flat bar stock. Depends whether you need to stiffen in both directions - vertical and lateral. or just vertically.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
          Paul,
          I will be putting my 34706 lathe (180 lbs) on a HF mobile base ...
          This is exactly my setup. It works fine.
          JR

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

The flat iron works fine. I forgot just HOW heavy the lathe bed and headstock are. I just moved these clamp racks to this locations, too. Now I need to raise that bar clamp rack an inch higher. Yeah for OSB walls. This parking spot was originally for my planer. It just happened to fit perfectly. Now I need to learn how to sharpen lathe chisels and turn. I setup the slow speed grinder last night.

Comment

Working...