• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

HF 34706 - finally pulled the trigger

This came home with me today. Thanks again for the input from those that own.

And now for the famous last words: "This should be the last large tool purchase I make for a while."

Honestly, this lathe makes three in the shop (I also have a mini, and a "micro"), and I've run out of room, still trying to figure out where to put this new one. I'm also reaching that point where, until something breaks, I have enough equipment to do everything I want to do.

My latest interest was in larger turnings, so this lathe should work for that. Hope to churn out some nice large platters, and will post here when I have some.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I think you're officially in the vortex now.

So why would you keep the mini when the larger one will probably do everything it can do, right?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I bought a new Rikon mini lathe the year my older daughter was born--4 years ago. No time to learn it or set it up and it's still in the same box. That same year my Uncle died and a year later, I "inherited" his Delta midi-lathe.

Having never turned before, I'm debating whether I should keep both.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      And now for the famous last words: "This should be the last large tool purchase I make for a while."
      The lathe is the cheap part. It's all those accessories that are going to cost you.
      Richard

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to the slippery slope of turning... Yeah, the lathe is the cheap part, but you don't have to go hog wild with the accessories either. Start off with a good HSS tool set, and a chuck, make sure you have some kind of sharpening rig and get busy with turning!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I have the money and would like to get one, but for the life of me, I can't find a $199 coupon. If I could find one, I'd go pick one up after work today.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            So why would you keep the mini when the larger one will probably do everything it can do, right?
            I think the answer lies in the rationale for multiple clamps or routers - one is fine, but more is better. Today, I use the mini for everything, especially pen turning, except finishing and polishing the pens, which I do on the "micro" lathe. I would like to keep these set up for that purpose, and use the larger lathe for various "chuckwork", including blank drilling, as well as larger turnings.
            Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Remember he who dies with the most tools............................................d ies with the most tools. Enjoy.

Tom

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Originally posted by phrog
                The lathe is the cheap part. It's all those accessories that are going to cost you.
                Richard,
                Ain't that the truth! The good thing is that all the chucks, etc. that fit my mini-lathe will fit the 34706. So most of that investment is (hopefully) behind me. And with the recent addition of my self-made carbide tools, I've minimized that area too. Of course, there's always the cost of the consumables.
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...