Merry Christmas all, what tools did you score?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
    I usually just buy what I want throughout the year, and anything at Christmas is a bonus. I like to give.
    I'm with you, especially about the joy of giving. Fortunately LOML and I never got sucked into the mass marketing hysteria of giving gifts at Christmas. Not sure exactly how that happened or why we had that insight when we were much younger, but somehow we learned that early on. Stranger yet that the kids readily bought into it and never complained or missed it.

We celebrate the season, God's gift of Christ, but we don't detract from the season by giving gifts. Might not be a choice that would work for everyone, but it works well for us.

Judging by the mall traffic on Friday and the cited statistics, it almost sounds like more people were exchanging and returning those "perfect gifts" than gifts that were bought ;-)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      My wife knows I'm particular about my tools so no tool gifts--which is fine with me. My folks are driving through DE on the way back here with our kids and I reserved a Super Dust Deputy at the New Castle Woodcraft. My Dad will pick it up on the way back today. Bonus that it will be tax free.
      So now I've got the SDD. My Dad called me while he picked it up at WC and made sure I knew it didn't come with the reducing couplers, then the WC sales guy got on the phone to also tell me. I knew that but nice that they were making sure I didn't open up the box to expect the coupler, too.

Anyway, someone on the another forum just helped me design the coupler in Sketchup. I'm going to print it out on the Makerbot we have at work. I read that you can fume the part in acetone to smooth out any rough edges. I plan on dismantling my HF DC and incorporating the SDD.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

TF,
        I was a little confused about the direction of responses to your specific question. You did ask for tools recieved or acquired this Christmas season.

Perhaps we should start another thread about how and when people acquire their tools.
        Last edited by leehljp; 12-28-2014, 03:42 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Last edited by tfischer; 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM. Reason: blank

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Wow...I was honest in my response with my tool receiving experience on Christmas. I didn't know throwing in a response would cause one to be grumpy. I've only been around for 8 years or so, so I guess I am still learning the ropes.

I apologize and I have removed my responses. You quoted me in one, so you might want to edit that as not to offend anyone further.

Good luck in further responses. I hope you get the responses that live up to your expectations.
            Joe

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

This thread will remain open. Just because the OP did not receive the exact dialog he was seeking is not reason enough to close a thread and negate the thought and work other members have put into it. tfischer you were not attacked in any way I could see and I can even see the deleted threads. I'm sorry you did not get the exact discussion you were hoping for, it happens. I did not receive any tools for Christmas, nor did I buy any. I did spend time in my shop wrapping gifts for the children.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                This thread will remain open. Just because the OP did not receive the exact dialog he was seeking is not reason enough to close a thread and negate the thought and work other members have put into it. tfischer you were not attacked in any way I could see and I can even see the deleted threads. I'm sorry you did not get the exact discussion you were hoping for, it happens. I did not receive any tools for Christmas, nor did I buy any. I did spend time in my shop wrapping gifts for the children.
                You're the boss.

I don't believe I ever said I was attacked.

Have a great new year!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

For the record, I went over the line and got snippy in this thread. TFischer and I discussed the issue in PM's and I consider the issues resolved. I apologized and I'm glad I did.

Sorry for getting the thread off track. I never meant to hijack, so please, continue talking tools
                  Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have too much stuff, I didn't really need anything including tools for Christmas or even as my wife and I do, buy ourselves something.

One thing I got on Black Friday was a Lenox hole saw set from Lowes. My son asked if I needed anything for Xmas and I said he could give it to me as a present. I hope to use it to make wheels for toys and stuff - some day soon.

I got some clothes I probably need and a personalized fishing lure with my picture printed on it that my daughter actually thought I should throw in to the sea to catch a fish... And 48 oz of clam chowder! And some software and hand lotion for really dry skin - which I have. I have an IOU for a four foot ladder (for in-house use).

I'm very thankful for having my family around for Christmas and didn't really go overboard on presents this year. One day I hope I can get us all on a 7-day cruise or something if mutual schedules allow but having two people with new jobs its going to be tough to find a time when all can get off. Maybe I'll treat them to a long weekend at a beach house. With both children married and the in-laws in other cities I'm dreading the Christmas day that comes when I'll have none of my children with me.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-29-2014, 03:27 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by tfischer
                      You're the boss.

I don't believe I ever said I was attacked.

Have a great new year!
                      My point about no attack is that personal attacks is one of the few reasons why we would delete a thread. I do mean we. I am the Admin however as a general rule when a post is reported and it is "grey area" I consult the other mods as to the best course of action. In this case we saw nothing so bad as to delete a thread. Thanks for your input though and participation.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...