• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RDavidP
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2011
    • Maryland

Problem with Ryobi Drill press table

If I remember right, the Ryobi 12" drill press is quite popular among a few users here. I love this drill press and hope this problem can be fixed. The problem is the left and right bevel. The arm that holds the table is extremely loose and it bevels left or right at the lightest touch, even though the Allen screws are tighten down. Anyone ever come across this problem or know of a fix?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I read this to mean that the table is tilting right or left...not rotating. Have youhad any of this apart lately?

I'm not familiar with that particular DP, but many of the mechanisms are similar.
    Sometimes the tables are clamped to the column (for rotation) or clamped to a horizontal post (for tilting). The clamp consists of a split collar. A hole goes through the open (split) side of the collar, a bolt pulls the split together to tighten. The hole is threaded on one side and oversized (thread clearance) on the other. I've heard of entering the bolt on the wrong side (threaded side) so that the open side could not be pulled and of course it swiveled with no clamping action.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RDavidP
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2011
      • Maryland

Yes, it is tilting left and right. I have not ever taken this apart. The way you describe is pretty much how the table arm and collar that goes on the column are put together. There are four screws, two screws on the arm and two screws on the collar that mates up with the arm. The arm and the collar come assembled from the factory out of the box. I was going to try to remove the screws and take the arm off to look at it, but the screws are on extremely tight.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if they made the mistake i discussed you can tighten it all day but it just tightens against itself, does not pull the two halves together like it should.

if put together right the split collar should have the screw going through the entry side with no threads and tightening on the opposite side to pull it together. The design is quite good, but it has the unfortunate side effect that if you put it together backwards it looks perfectly normal but doesn't clamp at all. it's definately happened before to someone on this forum who described it.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RDavidP
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2011
          • Maryland

There is a bolt that is kind of hiden. It was a bit loose. I tightened it, and the table no longer tilts just by touching it. Right now I am drilling some metal, and I certainly do not need the table tilting.

Comment

Working...