Method for feeding planer jointing sled into planer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Method for feeding planer jointing sled into planer?

I suspect I know the answer, but I wanted to put this in front of the group...

With my typical stock run through the planer, I can usually feed the stock solidly into the planer, let the rollers grab, and go. But with the jointing sled, I typically have some overhang of sled before the work piece, which means I typically have to feed the thing in and kind of feel for the grab... That tends to make me enter the roller at a funny angle and makes for some awful snipe on the infeed side...

I am thinking setting infeed rollers up pretty much dead level with the planer bed and rolling it in until the feed rollers have it will fix the problem. But I was trying to get your input on maybe a better plan.

As a reminder, I have the Ryobi AP1301 planer, meaning no real infeed / outfeed support built in...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Dave,
    I recalled this thread from some time back - did you ditch the tables you made? Were they not functional for your sled use? The roller stands could work - but I think they'd be too finicky to set up accurately.

I still think you're likely to get snipe with our AP1301 planer due to the absent cutter head lock (because it rocks up during the infeed, pushing the cutter head lower until the back roller lifts it back up).

In this thread on my DC mod, you can see the simple infeed/outfeed extension I set up - passes all the way through the planer, but supported by braces fore and aft of the planer bed secured to the HF table; could be longer if I used a longer piece of melamine board.

I've been playing with ideas for a version that is longer, just rests over the planer unfastened, supported fore and aft of the planer bed using little torsion-type boxes to prevent sag, and could be lifted out of the planer for storage.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I ditched the infeed / outfeed tables years ago when I went with the tool stacker setup. However it wouldn't be unreasonable to set up some sort of infeed / outfeed tables I could use on the bench that stow separate from the planer...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...