Detailed workshop inventory and valuation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
    Yep, that says Made in USA.

Too bad so few tools today say that... How can I put a price on that?
    Wow, that wasn't even that long ago. I have one of the lower end Skil saws from the early 2000s. I don't know where it's made, but still runs well even after using it to cut Hardie board, Duroc, and now Hardie plank.

I was in HD last night just killing time with my youngest daughter after I returned some stuff. It wasn't a "Made in USA" label, but an "Assembled in USA" label on the box--written in Spanish.

The newest tag I've seen (although it was an emblem on a website) was for some electronics I bought off eBay from a Canadian site. "Assembled in North America". Close enough, I guess.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

So, back to inventory...what's your take on doing inventory of "consumables" like sand paper, nuts, bolts, screws, etc? I'm sure I've got at least a couple hundred bucks tied up there, but are you going to count each one or weigh them?

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        So, back to inventory...what's your take on doing inventory of "consumables" like sand paper, nuts, bolts, screws, etc? I'm sure I've got at least a couple hundred bucks tied up there, but are you going to count each one or weigh them?
        Hadn't really given that much thought. Not sure how to inventory that... Nuts, bolts, nails, brads, staples, screws, washers etc.... I bet if I counted everything up in "consumables" that occupy space in my shop, at full retail I would be holding onto probably $500.00 or so with all the paint that I am staging for the remaining remodel projects...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Wow, that wasn't even that long ago. I have one of the lower end Skil saws from the early 2000s. I don't know where it's made, but still runs well even after using it to cut Hardie board, Duroc, and now Hardie plank.
          One of the factory tours from This Old House (I think that was the show anyway) was of the Ryobi factory where they showed the motors being wound, etc. So even the 'cheap' tools were made in the US around 15 years ago.

I would think the adjuster is going to just cut you a flat amount for that sort of thing - just document the general idea of what you have... I don't think you'd need accurate counts, etc.

Heck you all have me concerned now, I don't have an accurate inventory of *anything* in the house, much less the shop.

-Tim

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Yeah, wow. I just have it all in my head. I'm thinking it would take me a couple of weekends to catalog my 30 years of collecting tools and other stuff. Then there is the fly tying stash, the reloading gear, the fishing tackle, guns, bikes, well they are easy. books...... where does it end?
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I probably should mention the inspiration behind this... There was a fire in the neighborhood a while back, some friends from my old church owned, and they didn't have an inventory. Even though they had replacement value insurance, they ended up only being able to replace about half of their belongings that were destroyed / damaged in the fire... That was why I started the inventory in the first place. After my recent shop upgrades / tool additions I found that my inventory was badly outdated, and needed to be done again.

As my wife and I work through the house, remodeling, cleaning up, donating or selling off old stuff no longer needed or wanted (Like the broken VHS machine that was in the attic...). We are going through and building an inventory of the full contents of the house.

For example, bath towels. Do you know how many of what type you own? For the master bath LOML and I recently replaced our bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths. 6 of each, Egyptian Cotton with the bath towels being technically bath "Sheets" (Oversized towels). Total about $200.00 for just towels...

Yeah, one thing I learned quickly when doing my inventory, I am shocked about the $$ wrapped up in household / personal items. And it would be very painful to try to replace them out of pocket in case of a total loss.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

I think at the very least it would be a good idea to walk around with a video camera, showing everything, zooming in on model/serial numbers where appropriate, etc. At least then you have some proof of ownership... heck might be a good idea even if you maintain a detailed list... what's to keep me from saying I had a Delta Unisaw in the shop otherwise lol.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
                  I think at the very least it would be a good idea to walk around with a video camera, showing everything, zooming in on model/serial numbers where appropriate, etc. At least then you have some proof of ownership... heck might be a good idea even if you maintain a detailed list... what's to keep me from saying I had a Delta Unisaw in the shop otherwise lol.
                  The unburnable hunk of cast iron? It might melt, but you'd still have a LOT of molten and resolidified iron to deal with... Now if you had say a Grizzly G0691 you might be able to get away with that...

Comment

• bigstick509
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Macomb, MI, USA.
                    • BT3100

We have relacment insurance so my method was to video and take photos of serial/model numbers. Also scanned receipts of purchase. Two major concerns are only having about half of receipts of major tools and not updating video/photos as new stuff is added. All are stored locally and on cloud services.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                      The unburnable hunk of cast iron? It might melt, but you'd still have a LOT of molten and resolidified iron to deal with... Now if you had say a Grizzly G0691 you might be able to get away with that...
                      LOL yeah I thought of that as I was writing it, but I couldn't think of a better example

Comment

Working...