• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Brian G
    You're welcome. You can come over and practice on my bandsaw.
    Might just take you up on that in the future! Could use some bandsaw tips. ;-)

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

Try it!!

I've been struggling with my bandsaw also and like you I came across this same setup video on youtube as well.

If I ever see that guy I'm going to thank him for the good advice. I just tried it and my bandsaw is cutting great. Sliced up some white oak that almost was firewood like butta....

Bill
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Brian G
        The deepest part of the gullet should be centered on the wheel.

Bandsaw Clinic with Alex Snodgrass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

It's a "must watch" if you have a bandsaw. He talks about blade positioning at about 4 minutes in.
        Incredible-he's been doing this for 22 years and still has all 10 digits. I can't even think what to cut as fast as he is doing it.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try to set my bandsaw up the way he suggests instead of throwing it out.
        Richard

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I set up my Craftsman 12" (2 wheel) saw using the Alex Snodgrass directions.

His method works ------ darn well, in fact.

Right now, I have a 1/2" 6TPI (skip tooth) blade on my machine - and it works fantastic.

I will tell you that one thing that made a world of difference for my machine - was having the right blade.

I was trying to cut 4x4" quarter-sawn oak ------ with a 3/8" 12 TPI blade --- which was just plain stupid!

Having a good blade helps a lot ----- try this selector (I actually bought my blade from Woodcraft ---- but my neighbor buys from these guys --- and I think they're really helpful).

http://www.timberwolfblades.com/Blade-Selector.php

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

The Highland Woodworking resaw blade they call the Woodslicer is a very highly regarded blade for resawing. Its reputation is on a par with the Timberwolf blades from Suffolk machinery Buts its just a resaw blade, the Timberwolf is a whole line of blades..

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              The Highland Woodworking resaw blade they call the Woodslicer is a very highly regarded blade for resawing. Its reputation is on a par with the Timberwolf blades from Suffolk machinery Buts its just a resaw blade, the Timberwolf is a whole line of blades..

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...aw-blades.aspx
              That is the blade I installed and setup as described in the video. Good bang for the buck. Leaves a nice finish. I'll post some pics once the shop warms up a little..

Comment

• bmyers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Fishkill, NY
                • bt 3100

wood slicer vs w oak

Here is the wood slicer on my harbor freight band saw setup as in the video. Cutting with ease, good finish, no blade drift.
                Attached Files

Comment

• greenacres2
                  • Dec 2011
                  • La Porte, IN
                  • Ryobi BT3000

+1 on the Woodslicer. I don't have a lot of experience, and i'm sure there are "better" resaw blades (carbide tipped comes to mind), but i can't imagine much better bang for the buck.

@bmyers--i think you're just using this thread as an excuse to show off that lumber--that is some prime looking stock!!

earl

Comment

• bmyers
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Fishkill, NY
                    • bt 3100

Originally posted by greenacres2
                    @bmyers--i think you're just using this thread as an excuse to show off that lumber--that is some prime looking stock!!

earl
                    Was i that obvious? Sorry.

Really I wanted to share on the usefulness of that video. The band saw for me has been a hit or miss setup machine for almost 10 years. Sometimes, with some blades I'd get great results, other times I wouldn't go near the thing for months at a time. Defeated by the subtleties of setting up a band saw correctly and consistently.

What those pictures really say is "I should have a pellet stove".. Those were chunks destined for the wood stove that I simply could not bring myself to burn despite the ridiculous winter we've had here in NY.

The white oak is for a shoe shine box I am making for myself. The spalted maple was in queue in front of the band saw to get sliced up. Nothing planned for it yet..

Comment

Working...