• Show
Clear All
  • thiggy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Alabama.
    • Craftsman Contractor

Winding Sticks

These are very useful to determine twist or warp in lumber. But how is it pronounced. Is it wind like "wind in your sails", or wind like winding a clock? I've never known.
    Wind In Your Sails
    9.09%
    Wind A Clock
    90.91%
    SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I don't know the answer for sure but it seems to me that winding sticks are used to determine twist in wood that has been "wound up" from the root "wind up".

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I've always pronounced it "winding" as in winding a clock... no idea if that is correct, but it sounds logical to me. (But then again I've been known for some pretty weird logic at times. )

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• cork58
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
        • BT3000

As a tree grows and is subject to wind it winds up tension, when cut it is released like a spring, therefore wind up a spring. Takes winding sticks to get it flat.
        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• thiggy
          Established Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Alabama.
          • Craftsman Contractor

OK, folks. I'll go with winding a clock. Thanks for the clarification.
          SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

Winding a clock for sure.

Regards Bob

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by thiggy
              Is it wind like "wind in your sails
              The traditional pronunciation is like "wind in your sails", based on Moxon among others. Really, though, however you want to pronounce it is fine. I have heard a lot of non-handtool woodworkers pronounce it like "clock winding".

Joseph Moxon's book "Mechanick Exercises, Or, The Doctrine of Handy-works. Applied to the Arts of Smithing, Joinery, Carpentry, Turning, Bricklayery. To which is Added, Mechanick Dyalling: Shewing how to Draw a True Sun-dyal on Any Given Plane, However Scituated; Only with the Help of a Straight Ruler and a Pair of Compasses, and Without Any Arithmetical Calculation" is available for free on Google play, if you want to read about winding sticks.

Still looking for a reference for the historical background and how the term came into usage. I vaguely recall that the origin of the term made the "wind in your sales" pronunciation fairly obvious, but have forgotten the details. I'll update this message when I find a reference.
              Last edited by woodturner; 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM. Reason: Found Moxon online
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

I always thought it was wind a clock. Since wind is a synonym for twist and you would use them to get the twist out of the board.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/node/73663

several posters not only say Winding sticks *like winding a watch) but also say they've seen dictionary references that say its so.

Thanks Ohcomeon. I remember reading about them on Shopsmith.com now that you jogged my memory. It is also in my very large unabridged dictionary and is pronounced like winding a watch.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lee Valley will sell you some for $30!

Seems like the home-made kind would work as well for a lot less.

I need a portable set with clamps to take down to Loews or HD to buy a reasonably flat 1x4!
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jwd12
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2005
                      • Dyer, In..
                      • BT3100

It is a small mind that can only pronounce (or spell) a word one way.
                      I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

Working...