• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopilot
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Lexington, KY, USA.

Drill press laser: quill-mounted

I'm thinking about a laser guide for my drill press, a old Ryobi WDP1850. Because the head of this drill press travels up and down the column, I need something mounted on the quill. I saw this Craftsman part listed on Amazon:

It fits on the quill of the Craftsman 315.219140 drill press. Was hoping someone might have this model DP and could measure the diameter of the hole in the laser - no specs are given. If it's a little too big I can make an adapter ring, but don't want to order it if it is too small.
    Thanks for any details on this part.
    Last edited by geopilot; 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks like a smaller benchtop press, 5 speed, 2 pulleys.
    listed as a 12" inch swing, so if you have a bigger drill press, it may be too small.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

For what its worth . . . .

I have one of those thingees on my drill press - it came with the press - and while I have no problems with it, I rarely use it.

When I first set it up and aligned it, it tracked pretty well as the drill was raised and lowered. However, I have brad-tipped drills and I find it much more convenient (and probably accurate) to use the tips of the drills to align the 'target' position.

While this may be just my preferred way of positioning the hole, if I had to buy one of those, I don't know if I would.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• cork58
        Established Member
        • Jan 2006
        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
        • BT3000

I agree with Steve, my press came with one and I too set it up. Used it a few times and it just sits on the press and gathers dust. Battery probably went dead a few years ago.

Dan
        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

Working...