X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dfera
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2013

BT3100-1 won't shut off

Hey guys, relatively new to the forum and have an issue I am not sure where to go from here. I have the BT3100-1 as mentioned in the title. For a year or so the saw would not shut off and the only way to turn it off was to unplug it. I found the thread with the switch replacement and Wayne and Tim were kind enough to send me a new switch but after installing the new switch the saw still turns on as soon as it is plugged in.

I replied to another thread on this forum that I'm not sure if it is related or not. When I replaced my switch I noticed I do not have any white wires connected to my switch just two black wires. Not sure if this is a factor since it worked for years before this. I've tried both sets of terminals and switching the connections but nothing makes the switch operate. I still have to plug and unplug the saw to turn it on and off.

Please help

Thanks
    Dom
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

It is possible that the new switch is also defective. If you have a multi meter test the switch.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JSUPreston
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Montgomery, AL.
      • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

From what I understand, it isn't that hard to upgrade the switch on the BT3x00 saws. I recently had to replace the switch on my Delta Contractor's saw, and went with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm probably going to upgrade it to the 240V model and reallocate this switch to my bandsaw. My saw is currently wired 120, but I can rewire to 240 if I need to.

One of the main reasons I went with the switch linked was because of the large safety paddle. Plus, I'm a Prime member, so I got it quick and cheap.
      "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

"For a year or so" . . . did you do something back then such as take the saw apart or bump something? Did someone else use it back then and possibly break/mess with the cord without telling you?

It sounds like the wiring is by-passing the switch in someway or that the wiring inside the switch is not right. The BT3Xs do have a different sort of wiring setup and hook-up on the side.
        Last edited by leehljp; 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would question if you have the switch wired correctly.
          There are four or six terminals on the switch and two wires so its easy to not have them in the right place but less likely that the saw might be always on.
          How do you have them hooked up?
          Picture, diagram, anything?

Also you could check the switch if you have an ohmeter,

Finally, I presume you have the saw motor short plug plugged into the outlet on the side of the saw and the long cord plugged to the wall?
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-20-2013, 12:27 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Dfera
            Handtools only
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by leehljp
            "For a year or so" . . . did you do something back then such as take the saw apart or bump something? Did someone else use it back then and possibly break/mess with the cord without telling you?

It sounds like the wiring is by-passing the switch in someway or that the wiring inside the switch is not right. The BT3Xs do have a different sort of wiring setup and hook-up on the side.
            No one else barrowed it and it didn't get bumped or anything like that. Could the wiring in two switches be bad tho.

Comment

• Dfera
              Handtools only
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I would question if you have the switch wired correctly.
              There are four or six terminals on the switch and two wires so its easy to not have them in the right place but less likely that the saw might be always on.
              How do you have them hooked up?
              Picture, diagram, anything?

Also you could check the switch if you have an ohmeter,

Finally, I presume you have the saw motor short plug plugged into the outlet on the side of the saw and the long cord plugged to the wall?
              I mean I thought it wasn't wired correctly too but there are only two black wires and four terminals. I've tried all combinations and always the same result.

I will get some pics and ohm it out tomorrow. Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Working...