X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I've never liked cordless hammer drills for masonry. Never could get more than an inch or so deep on concrete. The corded ones work great, including the cheaper ones. I don't use it frequently so u just borrow my neighbor's ryobi model.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
      So, wondering - wouldn't a corded hammer drill be cheaper and more efficient?
      I burned through three of the Makita hammer drills before buying the $20 HF that has lasted several years. Go figure...

I would not advise buying a hammer drill, I would recommend a rotary hammer. One primary difference is that the rotary hammers have SDS chucks, which can transfer nearly all the force to the bit. A hammer drill has a jacobs chuck and much of the energy is wasted, as the bit slips in the chuck each time it strikes.

I have the Bosch bulldog rotary hammer, an older Hilti rotary hammer, and the Rockwell cordless rotary hammer Lowes closed out for $30 or so a year or so ago. Both the Bosch and Hilti had the power to drill 1/2" holes 12" deep through 100 year old concrete floors. Either would be find for nearly all homeowner applications, and they are both the "top" tools in that category.

The Rockwell cordless is surprisingly good. Rockwell also offers a free lifetime warranty on the batteries, like Rigid does. The Rockwell also has a jacobs chuck with an SDS post to allow the rotary hammer to be used as a hammer drill or regular drill. The tool is surprisingly powerful, works well, is much lighter in weight, and doesn't require dragging the cord around. This has become my "goto" tool for drilling mortar, brick, etc., really nearly all work done on a ladder.

The Rockwell is still available at Sears, and they are on clearance, but the cost is more in the $80 range.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• frumper64
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Garland, Tx, USA.

I have the HF rotary hammer for the last 3 years or so and have used it pretty heavily. It is an outstanding tool for the price assuming you get it on sale. When I bought it, I got it for around $50 on sale and it has been more than worth it. I see the regular price now is up around $200 - not sure it is worth that much, but I frequently see it on sale in the $70-$80 range. Biggest advantage to the rotary hammer is the SDS chuck, as previously noted. The other advantage is the slow speed - it only turns around 850 rpm as I recall, so the bits don't heat up as badly and thus last a lot longer.
        Jim
        64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have the Bosch PS21 radhak mentioned. The impact driver is plenty enough for your regular work. If you're not building a deck, I would say it's enough for the every day user.

The problem I had with them is that the batteries went belly up very very quickly. But otherwise I loved the Bosch 12V set.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I bought the rigid battery hammer drill and registered it. A couple of months ago the batteries started failing, I sent them in an got new batteries for the price of postage. It's about eight years old. For me it's a no brainer. I do have a corded Ryobi hammer drill from my dad's construction company, but it's huge, heavy, and I haven't had the need to pull it off the pegboard yet.
            Chr's

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

I also have had the Ridgid 18 volt li-on batteries replaced for free. Can't beat that.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Years ago, I had the chance to buy from a few different models of hammers. I avoided the rotary hammer/SDS bit one for a couple of reasons: 1. More expensive bits, and 2. I could see me needing a larger drill, for drilling through other stuff (as a kid, I helped a friend drill through some 1/4"+ steel), where I would need a normal bit. The one I bought was a 1/2" Dewalt, made in England, hammer drill. (about the size of a reciprocating saw)
                It hasn't been used that often, but when I needed something big, it has done the deed. My dad's OLD B&D (would have been bought around 73), I about wore out, as a kid, using it as a sander for autobody. In the last couple of years, I came across a 3/8 or 1/2" Milwaukee, that was almost identical to his old B&D for $15, at a retirement garage sale. He has used it quite a bit since (moved into an all brick home).
                For very occasional use, I know of several who have been happy with the HF one. I think any of them could whip your arm around if they hit/catch something. (and watch your cords)

EDIT: As for batteries, the Lithium Ion, I have had less luck with, as they don't last as long, or seem to be easily rebuild-able as my old NiMH. My Ryobi Lithuim Ion 12v impact (yes impact, never saw this in my local HD's), one was bad out of the package, and the other one went bad after two years.
                Cordless is great on a ladder, but I think I still prefer a cord.
                Last edited by LinuxRandal; 09-24-2013, 12:55 AM.
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • Barrie ON Canada
                  • BT 3000

Hi my first (15 years) and still working hammer drill is a Skil that you can switch from hammer to regular drilling. It has worked great for things around the house and shop. I don't know if they still make this model. It was not very expensive. Regards Bob

Comment

• vaking
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Few years back I stumbled on clearance on 24V Bosch cordless hammer drill. It is a monster, comes with its own shoulder bag. It is big and heavy and I would not want to use it as regular drill (even though you can set it without hammer action) but it certainly can deliver a punch. My HVAC contractor used the same model to drill a 4" hole in cinder block foundation of my house to put through pipes. I have not used mine often but it is probably 6 years old and still going strong.
                    Alex V

Comment

Working...