• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Variable speed controller.

I have both a Bosch 1617 and a 1617EVS router, the former being a single speed model.

I got a Jessem router lift and was going to permanentize a router motor into the table. I wanted to keep a VS 1617EVS for handheld but a VS is good for table use too. New motor-only 1617evs (no base costs 5 dollars less than a model with a base... not a good buy). After looking around for a while for a used VS motor I decided I would use a speed controller with the single-speed 1617 which otherwise would not see much use.

I got the unit from amazon with the best price (under $20 shipped).

I used my phototach to check the no-load speeds and made a decal relating that to the dial which is helpfully (sarcasm) marked L, M and H. Fortunately design of the speed control has the lowest setting about 8000 RPM, about the bottom speed setting of the 1617EVS, too, which is good because speeds below that aren't much useful for routing.

In this post I use a photo-tachometer to calibrate my 1617EVS:
    I bought a $20 photo tachometer on eBay. Just search for photo tach*. It has a visible red laser beam, that you aim at a piece of reflective tape (about 24 inches supplied, I used just 3/8 long piece) you attach to the side of the rotating item and it counts the reflections as it passes by. I checked the accuracy by pointing
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2013, 03:48 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Congrats on the router lift.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• vaking
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Montclair, NJ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Variable speed is useful in the table router but in the handheld I don't need it much. Reason is simple - slower speed is needed when using larger bits but I don't use larger bits handheld. I have 3 routers. Table router has variable speed. Handheld is a kit with 2 bases and a single speed motor (Hitachi KM12SC) and I have a variable speed fixed base craftsman almost dedicated to dovetail jig. I would think that variable speed in hands you would need only if you are working with some particularly picky wood that is afraid of burns even on smaller bits.
      Alex V

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I use an old Ryobi R-500 (13.3 amps) in my router table. It does not have variable speed. So when I spin big bits I hook up a variable speed controller like you illustrate. Works well.

I have a fixed and variable speed PC 690 motor for hand held use ad a Bosch colt. I think it is true that you seldom need variable speed hand held but soft start also tends to accompany variable speed and that is always nice. But I use my PC motors pretty interchangably. If the single speed is in the base I want to use, I do not switch to the variable.

Jim

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I believe today almost all routers have soft start, even single speed (mine does). I think soft start is no longer related to variable speed but to router age. Soft start routers also do not work with external speed controllers. I have an external controller but the only thing that works with it is my rotozip. I do use rotozip with plunge base as trim router but variable speed with trim router I have not needed yet at all.
          Alex V

Comment

Working...