• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

drill press for hinges

I am looking to add to my tool collection - a Drill press - I don't have a ton of $$ to lay out for it. The project that is pushing me - I am attempting to make wooden hinges - (rounded box joints with a Brass rod through them) - to get the hole drilled precise enough to get the brass rod in and have it actually function will require a little more than my steady hand. I have been looking at the 5 speed HF bench top - anyone have a reason why this is a capital idea or a really dreadful choice? and just on the odd chance- if this is workable -anyone have a great coupon for HF?
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if doing hinges that are say 4-5 inches long, two important things to consider, are, is the stroke of the DP long enough to drill through, and is there enough clearance above the tables lowest position for allowing drilling into the hinge?

If the stroke is not enough, you will have to drill part way, then raise the table, reposition the bit to the hole center and continue drilling (if you bit is long enough.)
    Not too convenient and requires a lot of table height adjustability.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-14-2013, 08:06 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

You need the length of the drilling distance to make the hole. If the distance is between the table at its lowest position, you have to add the length of the drill bit to check the clearance. If you do have the room, and the stroke isn't long enough, a re-positioning of the table to account for how far the bit went into the stock at the first attempt.

Or, allow the partial exposure of the bit on the first attempt, and then, reposition the bit to a longer throw for the second attempt. If the stock is properly positioned and raised up on the bit, you may be able to make a second depth pass. Or, if the alignment is manageable, the wood can be flipped and drilled from the other side.

Ideally, to get a DP with sufficient stroke to manage the hole with a single pass.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

You could also keep an eye out for an old Shopsmith to make a horizontal boring machine out of.

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

At least around here, drill presses are like radial arm saws...they come up on CL on a regular basis, many of them junk, some of them way overpriced, but on a pretty regular basis a great deal. Mine is an early-80's Chicago Electric industrial 13" that i picked up for $70 or $80 from a guy i was buying something else from and i asked. Beefy machine with 3.25" stroke, JT-3 chuck.

If you can be patient, and selective, CL may be your friend on this one.
          earl

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654
            You could also keep an eye out for an old Shopsmith to make a horizontal boring machine out of.
            That's a good idea.

Comment

• BeauxTi
              Established Member
              • Jan 2012
              • Georgetown Texas
              • Ryobi BT300

Thanks for the replys - thinking 3 inches would okay. these are for small Hinges about 2"... I have been looking at CL - once again - you are correct - slim pickings and high cost - some higher than new in store :-( .. Any of you have a bench top that you are in love with?
              Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

You could find a benchtop with the stroke you need. But, just consider a floor model, as you have more room to the table. That will also free up work bench tops. If you get a bench top, you could replace the column with a longer one. You just need to use the correct diameter.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

I had the small HF unit you are looking at. It worked just fine. In the end I found it to be just too small - limited stroke, limited depth.

If you have the room for a free-standing drill press then you should pursue that. Keep an eye on Craigslist. You'll probably find a decent one in the $100 range sooner or later.

JR
                  JR

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

As the others have said, you need to consider that total length (or depth, as it were) of the hinge you are going to be drilling. Even my Ridgid 1550 floor model has only a 3-3/4 inch quill travel.

Have you given any consideration to making some kind of jig, in which you can horizontally bore your wooden hinges with a corded drill (or even cordless)?

I'm thinking that there have been lots of jigs for holding drills, and even some look-alike lathes that use drills as thier power. It probably wouldn't take much to fabricate a jig to hold your drill in a horizontal position and then to make a guide rail and platform with clamp to hold your hinge... which in turn would simply slide forth into the drill bit, or vice-versa.

That would totally alleviate your cost concerns and would be a relatively simple project unto itself. My thought is that even with a drill press you are going to have to design some kind of jig to hold your hinge for a precise and repeatable exercise. So, why not just design it to hold a drill to and eliminate the DP expense!

With a typical drill, you don't have to worry about the travel... just use a long bit (which you'd need anyway). The drill could be anything you already have, and perhaps would offer you variable-speed and even reverse, which you would have with a drill press (well, speed changes with a placement of the belts)

Just a thought,

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Sawatzky
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2005
                      • CA
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I have the small HF 5 speed drill press. It is a good drill press but very limited in its capacity. For what I use it for it works great, but it is the smallest they come. Not much room for stock when you have a large bit installed. For your project you need a bigger drill press. For small work or drilling in thinner stock with smaller bits, it works great. I use mine mostly for drilling holes for door hinges.

Comment

Working...