• Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

drill press and up-spiral router bit?

Is it reasonable to try to use an up-spiral router bit in a drill press to clean out a mortise?
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I doubt you might break anything. THe problems I would forsee are:

1. bit turning too slow, the smaller diameter router bits are designed for 15-20,000 RPM, your drill press might hit 3000 RPM on a good day, won't make a clean cut.

2. Side load on your drill chuck may cause problems with it falling off the taper.

Try cleaning up with a mortise chisel?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Sent you a PM Willy--i know where you might be able to pick up a Delta DP mortise kit.
      earl

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

You could likely use a rasp style drill bit. The corners (if any), would be the diameter the bit would dress. I've had the chuck fall off using a drum sander, so it's not a far fetched problem. Besides using chisels to clean out mortises, I've used some tools from one of my carving sets to clean mortises. You might find them easier to handle than a chisel.

Comment

• Sweet Willy
          Established Member
          • May 2011
          • Near Chattanooga, TN
          • ridgid 3650

Thanks guys. I never thought about the chuck falling off. Good point. I do have a complete set of very sharp chisels that I use all the time but was just wondering if that bit would work to speed things up a bit.
          In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
          Dennis

Sweet Willy
          sigpic

Comment

Working...